The Most Interesting Candidate of the Year

Valin

gop-s-brad-pitt-look-alike-has-best-chance-to-defeat-a-dem-20140909National Journal:

Minnesota Republicans nominated a Brad Pitt look-alike, and he gives the party one of its best opportunities to take a seat.

Josh Kraushaar

September 9, 2014

BRAINERD, Minn. — Minnesota is a state known for electing its share of unconventional candidates. It voted for Jesse Ventura, a professional wrestler, as its governor. Comedian Al Franken, who once wrote a book joking about running for president, is now the state's junior U.S. senator. Paul Wellstone parlayed his job as a rumpled college professor into a progressive icon in the Senate.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that one of the most interesting congressional recruits of the cycle hails from Minnesota. Republican Stewart Mills, who worked his way up his family's retail-goods business, looks unlike any other candidate for Congress, boasting shoulder-length hair and a relaxed Fast Times at Ridgemont High demeanor. He's one of the few congressional candidates who has been attacked for hitting a beer bong, and the only one who has ever been compared to Brad Pitt. And he's got a strong opportunity to win the expansive district based in the Iron Range, with analysts rating his race against Democratic Rep. Rick Nolan as a pure toss-up.

(Snip)

Mills's nontraditional profile also provides a stark contrast with Nolan, who was first elected as a freshman during the Watergate scandal only to leave office in 1981 and run again decades later. Mills has criticized the 70-year-old congressman as being out of touch with the changing values of the district, supporting the president down the line, and voting for the House progressives' budget that imposes a carbon tax. Mills has also contrasted his record with Nolan on supporting gun rights (Nolan received an "F" rating from the NRA) and opposing abortion to appeal to socially conservative Democrats who make up a significant share of the electorate.

(Snip)

Cyber_Liberty

I dunno, this is your home turf. What's the story with this race, @Valin? I remember you said the diaper-wearing so-called funny guy looks to win, what about this one? (I'm not being a wise guy) Is he bringing this home?

I dunno, this is your home turf. What's the story with this race, @Valin? I remember you said the diaper-wearing so-called funny guy looks to win, what about this one? (I'm not being a wise guy) Is he bringing this home?

That is the Senate race....and yes I'm sad to say Al is probably going to win. This is about the 8th CD...basically Northeastern Mn.

Stewart Mills employs hunting camp doctrine

Steve Fleace

August 11, 2014

Cook County News-Herald

Stewart Mills learned early in life that if you complain about the food at hunting camp, you have to be the cook. That lesson learned at age 9 or 10 has stuck with him through today, he told the Cook County News-Herald in a visit on Thursday, July 31.

Mills was instrumental in the development and deployment of the Mills Fleet Company self-insured health plan which covered over 6,000 team members and their families. Mills said the plan was so successful that it was able to issue rebates to its members in its second year. The following year brought the federal Affordable Care Act, which undid much of the progress the Mills plan had made, he said.

This was the catalyst that began his outspoken opposition to the act and brought about his candidacy for the office of the Minnesota Eighth District, U. S. House of Representative position currently held by Rick Nolan.

(Snip)