NATO creates new ‘readiness force’ to counter Russia

Geee

nato-creates-new-readiness-force-counter-russiaWashington Times:

NATO on Friday created a new “very high readiness force” of several thousand troops to deployed in eastern Europe, a clear signal by the international body that further Russian aggression in the region will not be tolerated.

At the organization’s summit in Wales, NATO approved plans for the new unit and issues a stern warning to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“Should you even think of attacking one ally, you will be facing the whole alliance,” NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said as the summit concluded Friday.

The force will include ground troops, air and sea support and special operations units, NATO said, all ready to deploy “within a few days” whenever a threat arises.Scissors-32x32.png

European counties have armies? unsure.png

Who knew??

You think that maybe they are becoming aware what happens when a weak president is in office and they are in the lurch?

Who knew??

You think that maybe they are becoming aware what happens when a weak president is in office and they are in the lurch?

What I'm talking about is, (for example) when France sent troops to Mali it was the USAF that flew them there. It is one thing to have a couple of brigades/divisions...whatever, it is an entirely different thing to be able to actually move them and use them, to have them well trained.

The problem is, the XXth century was not kind to our European brothers and sisters, and they decided to get out of the war business, and get into the social service business. The pendulum may be swinging back. History never stands still.

Who knew??

What I'm talking about is, (for example) when France sent troops to Mali it was the USAF that flew them there. It is one thing to have a couple of brigades/divisions...whatever, it is an entirely different thing to be able to actually move them and use them, to have them well trained.

The problem is, the XXth century was not kind to our European brothers and sisters, and they decided to get out of the war business, and get into the social service business. The pendulum may be swinging back. History never stands still.

I knew what you were getting to, they have too long let NATO be a synonym for US. But if I were them, I would be thinking about what would happen to them with this guy in the oval office. They were always confident we had their back, now maybe they are having second thoughts. Only, as you said, they have eaten so much of their budgets with social programs what would they shore up their military with. Some of the new democracies like Poland might be an exception - they know what it means to be under someones thumb and forgotten.(Disclaimer- I have many Polish relativeswink.png )