'Humiliated' Dinesh D'Souza seeks probation after guilty plea

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
us-usa-politics-dsouza-idUSKBN0GY2EW20140903Reuters:

(Reuters) - The conservative author and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza has asked a federal judge to sentence him to probation and community service after pleading guilty to a campaign finance law violation.

In a Wednesday court filing, D'Souza's lawyers said their client will present himself as a "disgraced and humiliated man" who acted out of character by having two "straw donors" donate $10,000 each to his friend Wendy Long's unsuccessful 2012 U.S. Senate campaign in New York, and then reimbursing them.

The sentencing recommendation includes an unusual statement from D'Souza, 53, to U.S. District Judge Richard Berman in Manhattan, who will impose sentence at a Sept. 23 hearing.

D'Souza said the means he chose to help Long, a Republican he had known since both attended Dartmouth College, was "completely aberrant," and has led to his credibility as a public figure to be called into question. He added there was "zero chance" he would commit the crime again.

"I cannot believe how stupid I was, how careless, and how irresponsible," D'Souza wrote.

"I took a short-cut, knowing that there was a campaign limit and trying to get around the limit," he continued. "This should not have happened, and I am ashamed and contrite that it did."

________

How convenient that they decided to prosecute him...

• 3 weeks later...

D'Souza gets community confinement for election law violation

(Reuters) - Conservative author and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza was sentenced on Tuesday to spend eight months in a community confinement center during five years of probation after pleading guilty to a campaign finance law violation.

The defendant, a frequent critic of President Barack Obama, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Richard Berman in Manhattan. He was also given a $30,000 fine and ordered to do one day of community service a week during his probation.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/23/us-usa-politics-dsouza-idUSKCN0HI23820140923

Why in the name of crazy does he need to attend counseling?

Don't know. He was on Megan's show last night but I only saw the very end. He has to teach kids English as his community service and is looking forward to making a new movie for 2016 election year.

Because he is a bad terrible person, and a racist...I thought everyone knew that! cool.png

The only 'cure' for all these transgressions is to become a Dem. Then it is permissible and even applauded.

Because he is a bad terrible person, and a racist...I thought everyone knew that! cool.png

The only 'cure' for all these transgressions is to become a Dem. Then it is permissible and even applauded.

EXACTLY! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Because he pleaded Guilty. He really handed them the stick to do whatever they wanted.

Out here in the regular world, people are ordered into "counseling" all the time as a means to provide generous financial kickbacks to well-connected shrinks and clinics. It's like Traffic School: a racket.

• Like 2