How the Drug War Drives Child Migrants to the US Border

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

How-the-Drug-War-Drives-Child-Migrants-to-the-US-Border:
How the Drug War Drives Child Migrants to the US Border

Mises Daily: Monday, July 14, 2014 by Mark Thornton

Most attentive parents today rarely allow their children to go unsupervised, particularly in public. It starts with the wireless baby monitor for the crib and ends with the ever-present cell phone at college graduation.

This is what makes reports from the US-Mexican border so perplexing to most Americans. It is hard to believe that parents would send their children, even young children, to travel many hundreds of miles, up to 1,600 miles without guardianship, or under the control of “mules” who guide the children with the hope of a safe voyage to the United States.

The journey is both harsh and dangerous. The northern regions of Central America (i.e., Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador) and Mexico are some of the most dangerous areas of the world. The climate can be harsh, roads and travel conditions are mostly poor, and the children are subjected to robbers, kidnappers, rapists, government police and soldiers, drug cartel members, and bandits of all sorts. Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree
7/14/2014

Filed under: General — Dana @ 10:41 am

[guest post by Dana]

An article came out on Friday titled Governors livid over border crisis and was was covered at a number of conservative sites. However, when I read the article, what jumped out at me – and made me livid – was something altogether different.

In the article, readers were informed that state governors (about 30 of them) assembled in Nashville for the National Governors Association’s meeting. Apparently, a number of the governors are livid about a lack of support and information coming from the federal government with regard to the influx of illegal detainees.

“I found out in the last 48 hours that approximately 200 illegal individuals have been transported to Nebraska [by the federal government],” said Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, a Republican, in an interview. “The federal government is complicit in a secret operation to transfer illegal individuals to my state and they won’t tell us who they are.”

And from Governor Mary Fallin (Oklahoma):

…whose state is housing 1,100 immigrant children at Fort Sill – Scissors-32x32.png

http://patterico.com/2014/07/14/governors-livid-but-dont-speak-up/