What A Constitutional Federal Budget Would Look Like

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
what-a-constitutional-federal-budget-would-look-likeThe Federalist :

What A Constitutional Federal Budget Would Look Like

By Eric V. Schlecht JULY 14, 2014

Americans all across the country recently celebrated our independence from Britain, the Founding Fathers, and their vision of democracy and limited government. If the Founders were alive today, however, it’s doubtful they would recognize, or approve of, the scope and size of the current federal government. The utter disregard for the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution and the ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment are largely to blame for this phenomenon.

Judging by their writings, and the Constitution they crafted, it’s fairly clear the Founding Fathers wanted a limited federal government. As George Washington noted, “The habits of thinking in a free country should inspire caution in those entrusted with its administration to confine themselves within their respective constitutional spheres…” While Thomas Jefferson once observed, “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”

The Fathers ingrained this thinking into our Constitution. In fact, Article I of the U.S. Constitution limits the federal government to 17 specific powers, Scissors-32x32.png