Ex-Detroit mayor sentenced to 28 years in prison for corruption

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
ex-detroit-mayor-sentenced-to-28-years-in-prison-for-corruptionFox News:

Kwame Kilpatrick, the disgraced former mayor of Detroit, was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption following a series of scandals that showed he had unchecked power while in office.

Kilpatrick’s defense attorneys originally had argued that federal prosecutors were overreaching when they recommended he get 28 years – but Judge Nancy Edmunds handed down every minute of it.

"It was a tough sentence but it was a very large crime (and) the punishment met the crime," said U.S. Attorney Mark Chutkow.

Kilpatrick addressed the court before his sentencing, saying, "I'm incredibly remorseful." But he stopped short of admitting guilt.

"I respect the jury's verdict,” he said. “I think your honor knows I disagree with it."

This was a different Kilpatrick. Gone were the flamboyant suits, the earring and the demeanor of the politician once described as the “hip hop mayor.”

He wore prison clothes and spent a great deal of time with his eyes trained at the floor.

"I believe he was broken. I believe he is very sorry," said Norman Yatooma, an attorney who investigated the suspicious death of Tamara Green, a woman tangled in the wild stories around Kilpatrick. "Sorry because he got caught."

________

Broken? So's his city...