What’s Wrong With the Republican Right?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
whats-wrong-with-the-republican-rightThe American Conservative: What’s Wrong With the Republican Right? Conservative scorecards don't explain why the GOP fails to get policy results.

By W. James Antle IIIOctober 7, 2013

No longer will it suffice for Republican politicians to come to Washington and compile respectable, or even stellar, ratings from conservative groups. If federal spending is ever to be restrained as the baby boomers enter retirement, we will need politicians who are willing to employ unconventional methods in the fight.

Conservatives need rebels and boat-rockers, not conformists and time-servers. So I argued in my recent book on the political prospects for limited government. Sen. Ted Cruz would seem to fit the bill. The Texas Republican has been a one-man demolition crew, aiming his wrecking ball squarely at Capitol Hill’s customs and conventions.

But, surveying the scene in Washington, is Cruz an example of the old saying about being careful about what you wish for? Scissors-32x32.png

Is the current confrontation likely to reverse or materially change the Affordable Care Act? Is it moving public opinion against Obamacare or against the Republicans? What is it accomplishing? Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

pollyannaish

This is the question we have to ask ourselves every time before we start. I did not like this strategy from the beginning. I just didn't see how we could do what we need to do.

But. Now that we are in this we can not blink. It's like Iraq or Afghanistan. We now own this and must win it.