My embarrassing picture went viral

pollyannaish

pollyannaish

my_embarrassing_picture_went_viral: I logged onto my Facebook one morning to find a message from a girlfriend. Youre internet famous! it read. She sent a link to a very public page whose sole purpose was posting images that mock peoples appearances. There I was in full glory a picture of me dressed as my hero Lara Croft: Tomb Raider for Halloween but written over the image were the words Fridge Raider.

Funny enough, I wasnt even angry at first. I was actually kind of amused. Who doesnt laugh at unfortunate shots of poorly dressed strangers? Ive certainly done it before; the Internet runs on this kind of anonymous scorn. There are entire websites dedicated to the poor fashion choices of random people. And just like me, most of those people are fat.

I dont generally view my body size as positive or negative it simply is. I eat right (most of the time) and I exercise (an inordinate amount), but it does little, thanks to a struggle with polycystic ovarian syndrome and a failing thyroid gland. Im strong, Im flexible and my doctor assures me my health is good, but the fact remains: Im larger than someone my height should be.

More here: http://www.salon.com/2013/10/02/my_embarrassing_picture_went_viral/

pollyannaish

When I saw this story posted by a friend on Facebook I couldn't help but remember @saveliberty's post on the porch about not making fun of people's looks.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is much about the things we DO that are worthy of ridicule. And I don't mind critiquing her outfit. Which even she does.

But cruelty is never ok. Even cruelty to our political opponents, IMO.

That's my line at least.

• Like 3

Thank you, @pollyannaish!

I would go one step more: I don't think it's okay to criticize her outfit except privately between yourself and the outfit wearer.

No one deserves to be dehumanized and the new communication through internet and mobile channels enables otherwise good people to make remarks that they would never do if they were face to face with the person being criticized.

If we want kindness and mercy for ourselves, our friends and families, we have to be open to giving these also to people we know and love and people we don't know.

I am not saying this to make anyone feel bad about themselves, but to note it as an opportunity to do better today.

Today is a day that has no mistakes in it yet. :)

• Like 4

If you would like more annoying self-help tips, here is another one: pray for someone who annoys, angers or upsets you.

And pray for forgiveness if you end the day still being angry.

If prayed in earnest and with love for God, you won't see that person the same way again.

Edited by saveliberty
  • Like 4

If you would like more annoying self-help tips, here is another one: pray for someone who annoys, angers or upsets you.

If prayed in earnest and with love for God, you won't see that person the same way again.

I would add......if you are online talking to a representative of a company [phone, utility, credit card, etc.].....don't get mad.....get someone else. Just ask politely to speak to a supervisor, or another person......or hang up & ask for a supervisor.

Unfortunately.....some people have an "attitude" because of their perceived power & because they are not face-to-face. In an older world....this would be basic customer service.....but that is gone now. Customer service is what you [should] politely insist on.....or those people & their companies will never know or be able to do better.

BTW: if you are shunted onto a "service provider" that is from "out of the country" [india, Pakistan, South Sea Islands] and you cannot understand....or they seem way too slow & uninformed about your problem....you can ask them for a US operator & they are required to switch you over.

• Like 1

I know I should and I really do try...but there are some people who seem to go out of their way to make it hard.

• Like 1