Obama speaks with Iranian president, says nuclear deal possible

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
obama-says-has-spoken-to-rouhaniFox News:

The president revealed Friday afternoon that the two leaders had spoken. He said he believes the two countries can reach a “comprehensive solution” on Iran’s nuclear program, and said he and Rouhani had both directed their diplomats to pursue an agreement.

"I do believe there is a basis for a resolution," he said.

The call is sure to rankle some U.S. lawmakers, as well as Israeli leaders, cautious about engaging the new Iranian president too quickly. The conversation also came amid a bruising battle on Capitol Hill over the budget, stoking complaints that Obama is ignoring Republicans while engaging America's adversaries. Kevin Smith, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, tweeted: "[Obama] negotiates with Iran, Putin but not Congress #shocking."

The call comes after Secretary of State John Kerry met Thursday in New York with his Iranian counterpart on the sidelines of the United Nations session. The White House had apparently floated the possibility of Obama meeting, casually, with Rouhani in New York, but U.S. officials said the Iranians nixed the idea.

Senior administration officials said Friday that the Iranians later opened up to the possibility of a phone call between the two leaders. They said the call lasted roughly 15 minutes, and was cordial in tone.

"I reiterated to President Rouhani what I said in New York. While there will surely be important obstacles to moving forward and success is by no means guaranteed, I believe we can reach a comprehensive solution," Obama said.

He also noted “the very fact that this was the first communications between an American and Iranian president since 1979 underscores the deep mistrust between our countries, but it also indicates the prospect of moving beyond that difficult history. ... the test will be meaningful, transparent, and verifiable actions.”

________

Let's talk.