On the Rise: Tom DeLay is back

Geee

2536281Washington Examiner:

Did you miss him?

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, who resigned from Congress amid a swirl of scandals in 2006, returned to the Capitol just hours after a Texas court overturned his money-laundering conviction, celebrating with his former colleagues and even paying a visit to the House floor during a series of votes.

“I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all of this,” DeLay told reporters. “It really drove my detractors crazy because I had the joy of Jesus in me, and they didn’t understand it.”

DeLay, once known on the Hill as the "Hammer," was indicted in 2005 and convicted in 2010 on charges of funneling tens of thousand of dollars in corporate money through the Republican National Committee to state legislative candidates as a way of circumventing Texas campaign-finance laws.

But a judge decided last week that, while DeLay indeed did just that, his actions did not run afoul of the law. DeLay said he was praying when his lawyer called him with the good news.

DeLay was met with at the Capitol with hugs from several Republicans as he made his way through the Capitol following the court’s decision.

Between the time of his initial conviction and the ruling that overturned it, DeLay has remained free on bond.Scissors-32x32.png