Little Sisters of the Poor File First Class-Action Lawsuit Against Controversial HHS Mandate

Valin

Catholic Online

9/26/13

WASHINGTON, DC (The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty) - On Tuesday, September 24, 2013, the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty filed a lawsuit on behalf of the Little Sisters of the Poor, a religious order of Sisters dedicated to caring for the elderly poor (see video).

Without relief, the Little Sisters face millions of dollars in IRS fines because they cannot comply with the government's mandate that they give their employees free access to contraception, sterilization, and abortion-inducing drugs. The Little Sisters are joined by their religious health benefits providers, Christian Brothers Services and Christian Brothers Employee Benefits Trust, and a class of other religious organizations facing similar fines, in the first class action lawsuit against the Mandate.

(Snip)

"Like all of the Little Sisters, I have vowed to God and the Roman Catholic Church that I will treat all life as valuable, and I have dedicated my life to that work," explained Sister Loraine Marie, Superior for one of the three U.S. provinces in the Congregation. "We cannot violate our vows by participating in the government's program to provide access to abortion inducing drugs."

(Snip)

Obama Administration Attacks Nuns

Fr. Dwight Longenecker

September 26, 2013

Elizabeth Scalia highlights the iniquitous hypocrisy of the Obama Administration who will not exempt the Little Sisters of the Poor from paying for health care that includes abortion, contraceptives and sterilization. What kind of a creepy government have we elected who trumpet their concern for the poor and needy while imposing a crippling health care tax which makes the very sisters who are serving the poor pay millions of dollars in fines for living by their conscience?

(Snip)

Why do I think that most Catholic institutions will capitulate? Because they already have. Half the Catholics voted for Obama and what noises do we hear in opposition to the unfair law? They will capitulate then because they have already bought into the Spirit of the Age.

I am seeing storm clouds on the horizon. Fasten your seat belts.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."

Thomas Jefferson

Spread the word: Obama & his henchmen [& women] want to hurt poor defenseless nuns....who live their lives for charity....like Mother Teresa.

OBAMA WANTS TO HURT MOTHER TERESA!

Sound like a progressive?

I had a bread delivery business in the late 70's. I had a route & delivered to 30-35 grocery stores & 4-5 restaurants. Along the way, was a small elder-care center maintained by the Little Sisters of the Poor. My bread was fresh daily....so I had to stock new & remove the unsold bread items every day. [My pay was 5% of net sales] Needless to say....a lot of really great bread was being taken back to the bakery & put in the trash. [No records of returns were kept, except at point of sale] I went to the little elder care center & asked if they would like some of the day old bread. Oh...what a hit! It had no preservatives & they loved it....so I dropped it off a couple times a week, as schedule & route permitted. Baguettes, batards, boules, croissants & pan chocolat....until one of the Little Sisters wrote a letter to the main office of Vie de France in Maryland....thanking them for the bread. One day later I was called into my local office & threatened with immediate termination....if I delivered another crumb. There was potential liability in the day old bread & it was safer to let the older people & sisters do without...,than to give it away.

A real downer...like the milk lobby... that....by law....requires all unsold & dated milk to be poured down the drain.

Spread the word: Obama & his henchmen [& women] want to hurt poor defenseless nuns....who live their lives for charity....like Mother Teresa.

OBAMA WANTS TO HURT MOTHER TERESA!

Sound like a progressive?

I have been informed that she and other pro life women have internalized misogyny. Well being concerned I looked it up. Someone needs to do something about this!!! rolleyes.gif