ObamaCare premiums cheaper than expected, says White House

Geee

324449-white-house-obamacare-premiums-cheaper-than-expectedThe Hill:

The Obama administration released some rate information Wednesday for the healthcare plans sold through ObamaCare, saying the rates came in 16 percent cheaper than expected.

The White House was eager to tout the rate information, which it released just a week before the window opens to begin enrolling in coverage through the law's new insurance marketplaces.

On Tuesday, President Obama urged the uninsured to ignore the fierce political debate over the healthcare law and see for themselves next week how much they would have to pay for coverage.

Premiums will vary from state to state and will change even more depending on factors such as smoking status, age and geography within the state.

But on average, across the 36 states where the federal government is running the insurance marketplaces, premiums next year will be 16 percent lower than expected, the Health and Human Services Department said in a report.Scissors-32x32.png

"Cheaper than expected". Cheaper than the estimates made a year ago, but MUCH higher than anything most people pay this year and certainly not lowering costs as originally "promised".

@Geee @clearvision

What the Administration Didnt Tell You About Obamacare Exchange Plans

Chris Jacobs

September 25, 2013 at 12:01 am

OBAMACARE_Premiums.jpg

Today the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released a report regarding premiums and plan offerings in Obamacares exchanges for next year. Despite the Administrations claims, premiums are going up due to Obamacareand the quality of the coverage is, in many cases, going down.

In both todays report and an earlier report released in July, HHS claims that premiums are lower than projected. HHS bases its claim on a March 2012 Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimate stating that premiums for a family would average $15,400 per year on the exchanges. The Administration report claims that weighted average premiums are 16 percent below projections based on that CBO reporttherefore Obamacare is lowering premiums.

What HHS didnt mention is that CBO also estimated in a November 2009 analysis that individually purchased insurance premiums would go up by an average $2,100 per family, due to the increased mandates and requirements included in Obamacare. So when HHS says that premiums are below projections, it really means that premiums are still going up as a result of Obamacarejust by less than originally advertised.

(Snip)

I ain't payin' for no insurance now... and they gonna be giving me some of that Obama stash money to pay for it now.

I call that cheaper!

momoney.gif

Remember the Wayans' skit on "In Living Color"?

Had a guy inform me this morning that he was worried about his smoking costing him more on insurance until he found out that with Obamacare we will all pay the same low price regardless of habits or pre-existing problems and it will cover everything. No worries it's gonna be cheap and wonderful for all of us.

Had a guy inform me this morning that he was worried about his smoking costing him more on insurance until he found out that with Obamacare we will all pay the same low price regardless of habits or pre-existing problems and it will cover everything. No worries it's gonna be cheap and wonderful for all of us.

I believe smoking is charged 15% or so more.

Unless they have come up with something else at the state level, the word about a month ago was that they do not have the software to implement thisblink.png ? Seems crazy to me, but that is what several articles said.

Unless they have come up with something else at the state level, the word about a month ago was that they do not have the software to implement this:blink: ? Seems crazy to me, but that is what several articles said.

Did you know smoking is bad for you? Well it is. That's why only bad people smoke....like me.

Unless they have come up with something else at the state level, the word about a month ago was that they do not have the software to implement this:blink: ? Seems crazy to me, but that is what several articles said.

Did you know smoking is bad for you? Well it is. That's why only bad people smoke....like me.

Tsk. Tsk. Back of the line for you buddywink.png

You think we would know "What's in the Bill" by now since the exchanges turn on in a week....

Pass it and we can read it later.

Pass Implement it and we can read it later.