Ted Cruz filibuster tops mark set by Rand Paul; Texas senator wants to stop Obamacare

Geee

ted-cruz-filibuster-tops-mark-set-rand-paulWashington Times:

Sen. Ted Cruz’s filibuster to draw attention to funding of Obamacare went past the 15-hour mark Wednesday morning, topping the length of the filibuster led earlier this year by Sen. Rand Paul.

“As difficult as it is to cross one’s party leaders, I say — with perhaps a little familiarity to the consequences — that it’s survivable, and ultimately it’s liberating,” Mr. Cruz said in the early morning hours of his talk-a-thon, which he began at 2:41 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and showed little fatigue at 5:40 the next morning.

PHOTOS: Famous quitters: Those who bailed rather than face scandal, scrutiny or stress

Over night he read excerpts from both Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” and from Dr. Seuss’ “Green Eggs and Ham” on the floor, cited approvingly the words of wisdom from actor Ashton Kutcher and hit TV show “Duck Dynasty,” carefully sipped water, and grabbed a quick snack at one point while fellow filibuster leader Sen. Mike Lee asked a 45-minute-long question, giving the Texas Republican a chance to stretch his legs, check messages on his iPhone and confer with his staff.Scissors-32x32.png

Marco Rubio on Hugh Hewitt

(Snip)

MR: Yeah, you know, no, that’s the interesting thing. He’s not claiming it’s a filibuster, because it’s not. He’s just speaking on the floor, and others are going to join him, as I will, on this effort. And I think it’s important, because I think, look, one of the things I hope people will focus on is all this talk has been about what’s going to happen. You know, when’s the vote going to be? How’s it going to turn out? I think we need to spend more time on the why. You know, why is it that Republicans, and a growing number of Americans, are so passionate about defunding and stopping Obamacare? And it’s not because it’s Barack Obama’s idea, and it’s not because…it’s because, very simply, it’s hurting upward mobility in this country, the essence of what makes us special. If you think about what is it that makes America different from the rest of the world, it is the one country on Earth for over the last 200 years people have been able to move up the economic ladder through hard work and sacrifice. And that’s under assault. If you undermine the free enterprise system, that becomes impossible. And Obamacare is just the latest in a string of federal policies that undermines the free enterprise system.

(snip)

Senate poised to clear procedural hurdle on spending bill

WASHINGTON The Senate will take a procedural step toward passing a short-term funding resolution Wednesday afternoon, though it likely won't help avert a government shutdown.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is expected to get the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle before the Senate can vote on the House Republicans' spending bill. The vote is expected in the early afternoon, according to Senate aides, but the timing depends on when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, ends the lengthy floor speech he began delivering Tuesday afternoon.

(Snip)

C-Span says the vote will happen around 1:00 pm EST

He read one of my favorite books to read to the grandkids last night to his children over the TV - Green Eggs and Hambiggrin.png

Well I stayed with him thought out the night giving support with prayers for him.

• Like 2

'OBJECTIVE' MEDIA CELEBRATED WENDY DAVIS, SLAM CRUZ

As the media struggle to come up with an effective counter for Senator Ted Cruz’s 22-hour quasi-filibuster against Obamacare, they have turned more and more to outright mockery. That mockery comes in marked contrast to their worshipful attitude toward Texas state senator Wendy Davis’ filibuster of a Texas pro-life bill that banned abortion after 20 weeks. Davis’ filibuster brought near-orgasmic attention from the mainstream press.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/09/25/Media-celebrated-Davis-bash-cruz