The Rise of Rafael Cruz

Valin

the-rise-of-rafael-cruz.htmlCarnage and Culture:

Senator Ted Cruzs father is a conservative force.

Robert Costa

ted_rafael_cruz-620x412.jpg

ed Cruz with his daughter, Caroline, and father, Rafael. (Credit: AP/David J. Phillip)

The political partnership between Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and his father, Rafael, is a rising force in conservative politics. To most observers, it seems like part of a familial game plan that has been in the works for years.

But according to Senator Cruz, it actually began quite recently with a phone call. My dad poured himself into my Senate race last year, he recalls. In the early months, we didnt have much of a campaign. One day, I couldnt make an event, so he drove out to West Texas alone no staffers, nothing and he spoke on my behalf. A few hours later, I called and asked how it went. He said, Even surrogates for the other candidates were asking for Cruz yard signs.

(Snip)

There Rafael Cruz was in Des Moines, Iowa, last month, speaking to ministers at the Marriott hotel and collecting business cards in the lobby; a month later, he was in Ames, Iowa, pacing the stage at a conservative summit and drawing cheers for his broadsides against President Obama. His fiery speech at a FreedomWorks event in July drew heavy praise from talk radio.

(Snip)