The Street Sweeper

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
the-street-sweeperRedState: The Street Sweeper By: Erick Erickson (Diary) | August 27th, 2013 at 08:43 PM

AP630808099-620x412.jpg

August 28, 2013, is the fiftieth anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech. It is a very good speech. But it is not my favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. speech. My favorite is little known and even less remembered. It is a speech no leader in America on a stage such as he commanded would ever think to give. It is a speech about individuals being the best they can be as the beginning of their way in life and finding God as the end.

King’s “Street Sweeper” speech, which is more properly called “The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life” was a variation of a theme he went back and forth to over the years. He gave this particular speech to New Covenant Baptist Church in Chicago, IL, on April 9, 1967.

It’s common title of “The Street Sweeper” speech comes from this passage: Scissors-32x32.png

the-street-sweeperRedState:

August 28, 2013, is the fiftieth anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech. It is a very good speech. But it is not my favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. speech. My favorite is little known and even less remembered. It is a speech no leader in America on a stage such as he commanded would ever think to give. It is a speech about individuals being the best they can be as the beginning of their way in life and finding God as the end.

King’s “Street Sweeper” speech, which is more properly called “The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life” was a variation of a theme he went back and forth to over the years. He gave this particular speech to New Covenant Baptist Church in Chicago, IL, on April 9, 1967.

It’s common title of “The Street Sweeper” speech comes from this passage:

What I’m saying to you this morning, my friends, even if it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go on out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures; sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music; sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry; (Go ahead) sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, “Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.”Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Martin Luther King Jr.’s real message

Written By : Jonah Goldberg
August 28, 2013

Amid the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, one complaint became almost a refrain: What about economic justice? Scissors-32x32.png

After all, the official title of the event was the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Scissors-32x32.png

The line “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character” resides in the rhetorical pantheon with “Four score and seven years ago” and “We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union.”

But in one of the fascinating ironies that make history so compelling, King didn’t plan to use the “I have a dream” line. His prepared remarks were winding down when gospel singer Mahalia Jackson shouted to him, “Tell them about the dream, Martin. Tell them about the dream!” — a passage she had heard from him previously. Scissors-32x32.png

“No expression one-tenth so radical has ever been seen or heard by so many Americans.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.rightwingnews.com/column-2/martin-luther-king-jr-s-real-message/

Draggingtree
http://youtu.be/eGD6O283ipo The Dream 50 Years Later

Post Date August 28, 2013

Fifty years ago today, Rev. Martin Luther King shared his dream with the world. It was not a black dream or white dream, but an “American Dream.” The central theme was that the day would come when we would not be judged by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character.

He was a great leader addressing a real and pressing problem. He was, in a sense, liberating all of us from the shackles of our past and leading us into a new era of the American experience. Change is not easy, and it was necessarily a time of division and tension as our country grappled with the full import of our Declaration and Constitution.

It is my hope that as we remember Dr. King’s historic speech we will reject those who are committed to manufacturing tension and keeping the division alive. Let us embrace a new generation of leaders dedicated to fostering unity and keeping the dream alive as one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

For God and country,

- E.W. Jackson

http://www.jacksonforlg.com/the-dream-50-years-later/

E.W. Jackson Pledges to Defy Not Comply to Defend Coal Jobs

Posted on August 27, 2013

E.W. Jackson Discusses Damage Caused by Obamacare on Hospital Tour

Posted on August 26, 2013