Iraq, the Perfect Ingrate

Geee

iraq-the-perfect-ingrateAmerican Spectator:

WASHINGTON — Maybe Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki of Iraq should not have been in such a hurry to bid American troops adieu as he was back in 2007. What is more, maybe President Barack Obama should have come up with a few more compelling proposals for American troops to stay in Iraq for a few more years. After all, we did expend all that blood and treasure in getting the Sunni and the Shiite to live together peacefully — no car bombs, no suicide bombers. I think Prime Minister Maliki would agree with me. Iraq was a relatively peaceful place to live when there were American troops stationed nearby.

Now the place sounds hideous. Certainly you would not want to be a tourist agent in Baghdad. What would be your most fetching sights, a café that recently hosted a Kia minivan that exploded, or a Kia minivan that went up in flames in front of a theater? Kia minivans, apparently, are the vehicles of choice for roadside bombs, cars that suddenly go boom in an otherwise quiet neighborhood. Maybe the tourist guide could take his clients to a Kia showroom.

Back in early 2007 President George W. Bush ordered the “surge.” At the time Majority Leader Senator Harry Reid was pronouncing: “this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything.” Nonetheless Mr. Bush endured. Following General David Petraeus’ plan he sent in some 20,000 additional troops to weed out the roadside bombers and pacify the militias. In a matter of months the slaughter of civilians had ended. Sunni militias were becoming agents of peace, not mindless slaughter, and Iraq was becoming a peaceful country.Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to connection (if any) between the title and the actual column. Maybe some kind person could enlighten me...use small words.

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

Sentence in next to the last paragraph of article:

[whether we are there or not] "The problem in Iraq is that the Shiite majority and the Sunni minority hate each other."

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

[whether we are there or not] "The problem in Iraq is that the Shiite majority and the Sunni minority hate each other."

And what about the (?) 2 million Shia Sunni marriages?

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

Don't tell the crazies that.

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

@Valin @Pepper

Shia and Sunni... sitting in a tree

K I S S I N G wub.png

First comes love

Then comes marriage

Then comes a camel with a baby carriage.

• Like 1

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

Don't tell the crazies that.

I suspect they already know.

It was from an article I read right around the time of the start of the Iraq war. (Sorry no source)

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

@Valin @Pepper

K I S S I N G wub.png

First comes love

Then comes marriage

Valin

you do realize that 2 million is only 0.125 percent of the estimated total number of Muslims in the world using your two million and an estimated 1 point six billion Muslims.

• Like 2

Cliff's Notes for @Valin

wink.png

@Valin @Pepper

K I S S I N G wub.png

First comes love

Then comes marriage

Valin

you do realize that 2 million is only 0.125 percent of the estimated total number of Muslims in the world using your two million and an estimated 1 point six billion Muslims.

I'm not talking world wide. I'm talking Iraq.