Endangered: EPA finally comes to defense of honey bees

Geee

2534480Washington Examiner:

Under pressure from Congress and the honey industry, the EPA is ordering an immediate reduction in the use of widely used pesticides, an admission that bug killers approved by the agency are partly responsible for the disappearance of honey bees.

The Environmental Protection Agency is changing the labeling on pesticides to reduce their use in fields when bees are present, the first significant concession provided to the honey industry which has reported bee kills of over 50 percent among some commercial beekeepers.

"Multiple factors play a role in bee colony declines, including pesticides. The Environmental Protection Agency is taking action to protect bees from pesticide exposure and these label changes will further our efforts," said Jim Jones, assistant administrator for the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention.Scissors-32x32.png

I don't know about in your part of the country, but here honey bees have been scarce in my yard for about 10 years.

I don't spray pesticides and not too much is sprayed here, so I don't know what the answer is.