Coffee Shop

Rheo

Current rating: 3.9 (11 ratings)
Sermon 188 : Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven - Solemnity : The Body Matters: Reflections on the Assumption of Mary
8/30/2004
Please click the play button above to listen now.
For Catholics, Mary is like the moon, for her light is always a reflected light. Whatever we say about Mary is meant to draw attention, not so much to her, but to Christ. Thus, for example, the claim that Mary is the mother of God is an indirect way of affirming the facticity of the Incarnation. Our feast for today--the Assumption of the Virgin--is similarly Christological in focus. It is meant to highlight the reality of Jesus' bodily resurrection from the dead. As the first and greatest disciple of the Lord, the Virgin Mary shares in the effects of this event, participating body and soul in the new life opened up by Jesus.

Download MP3 File (Right-Click, Save Link As…) | readings | podcast

• Like 1

AMPAC plans ‘Million Muslim March’ for D.C. on 9/11

By Jessica Chasmar

- The Washington Times

A Muslim advocacy PAC is planning a “Million Muslim March” in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 11 to demand social justice by the U.S. government.

Scissors-32x32.png

(Great date, this should generate a lot of empathy for the Muslims)sarcasm

@Pepper!

Just a question. Will those million Muslims be in one dank, dark place [DC]....all at once?

BBQ comes to mind.......bacon, brats, ham, ribs......

• Like 1

Now I want to go to Ephesus.

@saveliberty!

You should have gone during the Byzantine era (395–1308).....when Christians were welcome & Constantine I protected & restored it from Roman rule.. Now with Turkey going the direction that it's going.....wouldn't be very safe.

• Like 1

Senate Democrats Move to Reverse Supreme Court’s Heller decision http://gunowners.org/alert08142013.htm?

Reid-Leahy move would gut the Second Amendment in the eyes of the courts

Having failed to get gun control passed in the Senate, Democrats are now making a last ditch effort to reshape the Supreme Court.

Well, we hate to say it, but we predicted this would happen.

You remember when Harry Reid was threatening to destroy the Senate filibuster in January -- and later in July -- in order to approve Leftist Obama-supported nominees?

You remember, at the time, we said that, if Reid “pulled the trigger” on this so-called nuclear option to destroy the filibuster in some cases -- thus eliminating the need for Reid to garner 60 votes some of the time -- there would be no impediment to Reid doing anything he wanted with 50 votes (plus Biden) in other cases?

And you remember we said that it wouldn’t take long before Reid tried to limit the filibuster and use a mere 50 Democratic votes to approve other things as well -- like an anti-gun Supreme Court justice to replace Supreme Court “swing vote” Anthony Kennedy? The immediate ramification of such an appointment would be to overturn the Heller case (which held that the Second Amendment is an “individual right,” not just the right of a state to raise a militia).

Finally, you remember that Harry Reid said, at the time, that his shady precedent would just apply to Executive Branch nominees, not judges?

Well, it hasn’t taken long for his lie to be exposed.

The anti-gun Democratic Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Patrick Leahy (D-VT), has just called for blowing up the Senate rules to approve judges with 50 votes. See Roll Call, “Leahy Eyes ‘Nuclear Option’ Threat to Confirm Judges,” (August 2, 2013).

Although Leahy doesn’t explicitly say so, this would eventually include Obama’s prospective anti-gun replacement to the 80-year-old Kennedy -- and would mean that the Second Amendment, in the eyes of the courts, would no longer exist.

Scissors-32x32.png

GoA via DougRoss@Journal

Watched the whole thing......fantastic!

Secrets of the Viking Sword (2012) full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM&feature=player_embedded

Via BonedJello

From the site:

The Vikings were among the fiercest warriors of all time. Yet only a select few carried the ultimate weapon of their era: the feared Ulfberht sword. Fashioned using a process that would remain unknown to the Vikings' rivals for centuries, the Ulfberht was a revolutionary high-tech tool as well as a work of art. Considered one of the greatest swords ever made, it remains a fearsome weapon more than a millennium after it last saw battle. But how did Viking sword makers design and build the Ulfberht, and what was its role in history? Now, NOVA uses cutting edge science and old-fashioned detective work to reconstruct the Ulfberht and finally unravel the "Secrets of the Viking Sword."

righteousmomma

@saveliberty!

You should have gone during the Byzantine era (395–1308).....when Christians were welcome & Constantine I protected & restored it from Roman rule.. Now with Turkey going the direction that it's going.....wouldn't be very safe.

Apparently tour ships still stop there. I have a friend who took one about 8 years ago and brought back photos to share with my Bible study - Lots of steps and a couple old ruins and stories about all the temple prostitutes. (LOL fun Bible study)

Another much younger friend lived in Turkey for several years and she and her husband and little girls LOVED it. Don't think I want them going back now though as her husband wanted to do a couple years ago.

• Like 2

@saveliberty!

Apparently tour ships still stop there. I have a friend who took one about 8 years ago and brought back photos to share with my Bible study - Lots of steps and a couple old ruins and stories about all the temple prostitutes. (LOL fun Bible study)

Another much younger friend lived in Turkey for several years and she and her husband and little girls LOVED it. Don't think I want them going back now though as her husband wanted to do a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOG8emH4Ab8

• Like 3

Really like this:

I Am Spartacus http://accordingtohoyt.com/2013/08/15/i-am-spartacus/#comments

I am Spartacus* because for all too long I stayed quiet. I stayed quiet because baby needed shoes (often literally) and I needed work in a biased field that would blacklist me as soon as they knew my true self.

I allowed my loyalties and beliefs to be assumed from external appearances and origins – I allowed them to believe I must be extreme left because I’m female, of Latin origin, and have somewhat more than a Master’s degree in Modern Languages and Literature. (I would go back for the doctorate, I would, but I’m not willing to stay quiet anymore.) Those years of festering silence weigh within me, and in the scales of eternal justice I’m afraid I’ll get counted with the enemies of Liberty, because I was quiet, I consented.

I am no longer quiet.

I am Spartacus writ small. I am Spartacus praying that I never need to stand physically facing the might of the largest power the world has ever known. I can tell who would lose. Because of that I am battling in the mind, to avoid the evil hour as long as I can yet. Maybe, if a miracle occurs, to avoid it altogether.

Scissors-32x32.png

I am Spartacus because they think a hellish mix of Brave New World and 1984 is a consummation devoutly to be hoped for.

I am Spartacus because I have two sons and might have grandchildren. For the generations uncounted ahead, mine or others, with my blood or not, I am Spartacus so they don’t have to live with a boot stomping on a human face forever.

I am Spartacus because our institutions are being corrupted, our system of checks and balances ignored, and we’re being ruled by Imperial Dictate by a blind man who sees the world through instruments and his instrument is an ideology made of Hegelian dialectic and fury signifying nothing and leading to death.

I am Spartacus because our betters have decided that the national debt no longer needs to be reported and that it will now simply be copy pasted from the total about two weeks ago, forever. And because they believe this can go on forever.

I am Spartacus because our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties.

Scissors-32x32.png

AccordingToHoyt via iOTW

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

I watched an hour of Hannity on FNC, with Mark Levin answering questions from a studio audience of Conservative Patriot Heroes. He was quoting from his awesome knowledge of the US Constitution.....and his new book, "The Liberty Amendments" a blueprint of how the people of the US Republic may regain control of their lives & future from the Democratic & Republican professional political machine.

I want to be Spartacus.

• Like 3