Sun to hit 'solar max' of activity in 2014

Geee

2533829Washington Examiner:

Potentially threatening solar activity will peak late this year or early next year, according to NASA, as seen in the last "ejection" two weeks ago that spit out solar particles at twice the common speed of other recent events.

According to space experts at NASA's Goddard Flight Center just outside Washington in Greenbelt, Md., the 11-year cycle of the sun will hit "solar maximum" by early 2014 and the number of so-called "coronal mass ejections," or CMEs, that can threaten technology, especially electrical grids, is likely to increase.

Alex Young, a heliophysicist at NASA Goddard, said the space agency is keeping a watchful eye on the sun's increased activity, but downplayed the chances of a catastrophic hit on Earth.

Young compared the solar maximum activity to the peak of hurricane season when storms seem to line up, though most are typically weak. The analogy, he said, "is like during hurricane season, if someone were to say there's a better potential for a [category] five than a one," he said. A category five is the worst.Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

WUWT: Weather Channel Founder John Colemans special video report on Svensmarks theory of cosmic ray induced climate change

May 1, 2012

Anthony Watts

&

http://youtu.be/rTl3XhSd_ig

The larger point is (IMO freely given and worth almost that much) what drives our climate and weather is waaaaay more complicated than just (evil) green house gases) literally everything from subatomic particles to where the solar system is in the galaxy.

I love John Coleman. He was actually the weather forecaster for WGN in Chicago for many years and who I got my weather from every morning for many years. Ah, John Coleman and Bozo's Circus - memoriessmile.png

Does the Sun also have the same affect on craziness as the Moon? Noting that 2014 is also mid-term elections;)

It does with me. wink.png

• Like 1

You or Ditter?

Both

PS

That is Dieter. He get's a little...touchy about things like his name.

The last time some did that he took action.

GermanPanzerMkIV.jpg