Mitch McConnell, Darth Vader

Valin

mitch-mcconnell-darth-vader-robert-costaNRO:

The man is not known for making nice with opponents.

Robert Costa

7/29/13

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky has just begun a primary race against Matt Bevin, a Louisville millionaire and conservative activist. Its shaping up to be one of 2014s marquee contests. But he doesnt want to talk about it. Instead, in an interview at his Capitol office with National Review reporters, he keeps moving the conversation toward his Senate work, where he serves as Republican leader.

(Snip)

To clear the air, I ask him for one parting thought on his campaign outlook, and McConnell obliges: My general view is that I dont have any sense of entitlement, either to the nomination or to the general election. You have to earn it every time, and I was neither surprised nor disappointed [by the emergence of a primary challenger]. I think Im in a very good position to be the nominee of our party, and I fully expect that to happen.

(Snip)

On Obamacare, McConnell says Senate Republicans remain committed to fully repealing a law he says is Europeanizing the country. But he acknowledges that there is much internal debate over how to do this, and whether a demand for repeal should be tied to a fiscal deal that is crafted later this year. Weve been going after it tooth and nail, in every way we can, all along the way, he says. Exactly how to achieve that, when you dont have a Republican Senate or a Republican president, is a vexing problem.

(Snip)

Lucianne.com

(Snip)

Reply 2 - Posted by: Periwinkel, 7/29/2013 6:35:07 AM (No. 9447377)

I am a Kentucky Tea Party member (and have a 2011 IRS audit to add to my conservative creds). Mitch McConnell has been telling everyone he is a Tea Partier himself...nice move Mitch...until Matt Bevin came along. I believe Mitch has been a little to compromising for most of us and a challenge from the right is what he needs to remind him who puts him in DC every six years: Conservatives not Democrats.