Jesus a Pharisee?

Valin

PJ Lifestyle

Rhonda Robinson

7/21/13

Turns out he was both.

In Rabbi Boteachs Kosher Jesus, the author points to the fact that Jesus was a carpenter by trade, which only adds to the evidence that he was indeed a classically trained scholar a Pharisaic rabbi.

Boteach goes on to explain that the title of rabbi, in those days, was a form of respect, not a formal ordination as we understand it today. Jesus working as a humble carpenter was in direct keeping with the custom of the time. Teaching was considered a sacred duty. Jews thought it exploitive to profit from peoples desire to hear and understand Gods instructions for living a prosperous, peaceful life.

(Snip)

righteousmomma

On the contrary, Boteach explains that throughout history, Jews analyzed the Torah using various formal principles of interpretation and deductive reasoning, which are clearly evident in the way Jesus presented the law through parables.

For example, his use of the phrase “then how much more so” reveals that Jesus is using the “light and heavy” rule, just one of seven rules he used often exhibiting “classic rabbinic reasoning.”

By Boteach’s account, the description of Jesus as a Pharisaical rabbi is not harsh or inaccurate. It is only an affront to traditional Christian teaching, not to what his followers believe about Christ himself.

To call Jesus a Pharisaical rabbi, is to say, that when Jesus walked as a man he was a beloved teacher. It is to say that he taught his followers the Law of Moses through the eyes of a loving God, led them in righteousness and stood against the decadence of the pagan culture and its oppressive government.

What a lovely Jewish interpretation of Jesus. Unfortunately the good man errs tragically.

True that "he taught his followers through the eyes of a loving God". However the rest of the good man's conclusions are way off base and miss the mark. Jesus did not come to teach some lovely social ethics gospel nor to re enforce the Law of Moses. If He had and if that were His intent He would not have been crucified.

• Like 1

Oh I have...issues with some of what he says. I will say this, I love his sense of humor...dry as a Negev.

Something I read many years ago, most of the early followers of Our Lord were in fact Pharisee's. This explains some of the questions the early church dealt with.

righteousmomma

Yes, SOME Pharisees according to the Bible. followed Him but most did not. They were too enamored of the Law etc. I don't know of any Sadducees who followed Him. But then they did not believe in the resurrection and were sad you see. My favorite Pharisee and my favorite person in the whole Bible WAS a Pharisee - Saul/Paul .

Yes, SOME Pharisees according to the Bible. followed Him but most did not. They were too enamored of the Law etc. I don't know of any Sadducees who followed Him. But then they did not believe in the resurrection and were sad you see. My favorite Pharisee and my favorite person in the whole Bible WAS a Pharisee - Saul/Paul .

You mean the woman hater? smile.png