Draggingtree

Draggingtree
nYqRMAustin American Statesman:

Posted: 1:47 p.m. Sunday, July 14, 2013

Attorney General Greg Abbott launches campaign for governor

By Jonathan Tilove

American-Statesman Staff

San Antonio —

Declaring that he both literally and figuratively has a spine of steel, Attorney General Greg Abbott announced his candidacy for governor Sunday.

“When it comes to our freedom and our future I will never, never stop fighting,” said Abbott in prepared remarks being delivered at 2 under a blazing sun at the La Villita Historic Arts Village near the Alamo. “That’s why I am asking you — the people of Texas — to elect me as your next governor.”

Abbott’s announcement came six days after Gov. Rick Perry declared that he would not seek another term in 2014, and on the 29th anniversary of the accident that left Abbott paralyzed below the waist. Scissors-32x32.pngelephant.gif

Draggingtree

Wonder if Dave Dewhurst has anything to say about this race?

He might.

Nothing would surprise me less.

Ops oversite on my part Dewhurst is a candidate for a fourth term as lieutenant governor in the March 4, 2014 Republican primary. Already seeking to deny him re-nomination are Jerry Patterson, the current land commissioner who lost to Dewhurst in the 1998 primary for land commissioner; Todd Staples, the two-term state agriculture commissioner, and State Senator Dan Patrick of Harris County, a radio talk show host. Patterson said after the Davis filibuster that Dewhurst has "lost his grip on the reins of the Senate", and Patrick called for new leadership in the chamber.

Wonder if Dave Dewhurst has anything to say about this race?

He might.

Nothing would surprise me less.

Ops oversite on my part Dewhurst is a candidate for a fourth term as lieutenant governor in the March 4, 2014 Republican primary. Already seeking to deny him re-nomination are Jerry Patterson, the current land commissioner who lost to Dewhurst in the 1998 primary for land commissioner; Todd Staples, the two-term state agriculture commissioner, and State Senator Dan Patrick of Harris County, a radio talk show host. Patterson said after the Davis filibuster that Dewhurst has "lost his grip on the reins of the Senate", and Patrick called for new leadership in the chamber.

We learn something new everyday. I do recall he was the establishment candidate against Ted Cruz.

• 3 weeks later...
Draggingtree
AG Abbott paid $5M so far from injury settlement By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press | August 2, 2013 | Updated: August 2, 2013 2:46pm

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has received more than $5 million so far from a lawsuit over a felled tree in 1984 that left the Republican gubernatorial candidate paralyzed, according to long-guarded details of the settlement finally made public Friday.

Abbott's campaign released a copy of the 1986 settlement with a Houston property owner and a company that had inspected the oak tree before it crashed onto Abbott, who was then a 26-year-old law student out for a jog when the freak accident pinned him to the road and broke his back.

He was paralyzed from the waist down and has used a wheelchair ever since.

The settlement reveals that Abbott, who is considered the early favorite to replace Gov. Rick Perry in 2014, receives annually adjusted monthly payments for life that are currently worth about $14,400. He is also due 14 lump-sum payments through 2022 that total more than $4.2 million. Scissors-32x32.png

"In piecing my life back together I realized that our lives don't have to be defined by how we're challenged. Instead we can define our lives by how we respond to the challenges we face Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.chron.com/default/article/AG-Abbott-paid-5M-so-far-from-injury-settlement-4703444.php

I'm not familiar with Texas politics but when a politician says "Abbott pledged a rigorously conservative agenda" questions arise in my mind, and images of used car salesmen. Conservative, (lord knows) does not mean the same thing to all people.

Draggingtree

I'm not familiar with Texas politics but when a politician says "Abbott pledged a rigorously conservative agenda" questions arise in my mind, and images of used car salesmen. Conservative, (lord knows) does not mean the same thing to all people.

Well in Texas politics Abbott is "Mr. Conservative"

Well in Texas politics Abbott is "Mr. Conservative"

Thanks. We learn and grow.

It's just that I've seen so many pols who say they are Conservative, when that is not always the case.