Fast-moving Arizona wildfire kills 19 firefighters

Geee

fast-moving-arizona-wildfire-kills-19-firefightersWashington Times:

YARNELL, Ariz. (AP) — Gusty, hot winds blew an Arizona blaze out of control Sunday in a forest northwest of Phoenix, overtaking and killing 19 members of an elite fire crew in the deadliest wildfire involving firefighters in the U.S. for at least 30 years.

The “hotshot” firefighters were forced to deploy their emergency fire shelters — tent-like structures meant to shield firefighters from flames and heat — when they were caught near the central Arizona town of Yarnell, state forestry spokesman Art Morrison told The Associated Press.

The fire also destroyed an estimated 200 homes, Morrison said. Dry grass near the communities of Yarnell and Glen Islafed the fast-moving blaze, which was whipped up by wind and raced through the homes, he said.

The fire still burned late Sunday, with flames lighting up the night sky in the forest above Yarnell, a town of about 700 residents about 85 miles northwest of Phoenix. Most people had evacuated from the town, and no injuries or other deaths were reported.Scissors-32x32.png

It's just unspeakabley awful. Mr.n. and I went to a barbeque place for dinner last night (in Parker, @SrWoodchuck -- it's on the west side of Hwy. 83. I recommend it.) with Mr.n.'s sister and BIL and on the way home we drove through part of the burned out area of the Black Forest. There are signs and banners hanging off people's decks thanking the firefighters.

It's just unspeakabley awful. Mr.n. and I went to a barbeque place for dinner last night (in Parker, @SrWoodchuck -- it's on the west side of Hwy. 83. I recommend it.) with Mr.n.'s sister and BIL and on the way home we drove through part of the burned out area of the Black Forest. There are signs and banners hanging off people's decks thanking the firefighters.

Breaks your heart when something like this happens. Brings the mind back to 9/11sad.png