The Left’s Newest ‘Civil Right’ — the Right to Be Murdered

Geee

defending-the-newest-civil-right-the-right-to-be-murderedFront Page Magazine:

In open defiance of Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, New York’s City Council last week passed two bills aimed at curbing the NY Police Department’s practice of “stop-and-frisk,” which has been among the most effective crime-fighting tactics ever employed. One of the bills mandates the appointment of an independent inspector general to monitor the department for evidence that its use of stop-and-frisk may be unfairly targeting blacks and Hispanics; the other opens the door to racial profiling lawsuits against the NYPD. Black Councilman Donovan Richards (D-Queens), who prides himself on being a strong voice against profiling, says that he himself was once “dehumanized” by the experience of being stopped and frisked as a teen, and thus wishes to spare other minority youth the same pain.

In a nutshell, the laws governing stop-and-frisk permit police to briefly detain a person upon reasonable suspicion of his or her involvement in, or intent to commit, a crime—even if there is not yet enough evidence to make an arrest. To justify such a stop, an officer must be able to cite “specific and articulable facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant that intrusion.” During detention, an officer may question the suspect and, if he deems it advisable, conduct a weapon search by frisking the suspect’s outer garments.Scissors-32x32.png

Safe Streets Ahead?

Judicial rulings and anti-cop activists threaten the citys triumph over crime.

Heather Mac Donald

As the 1990s came to a close, the criminology profession declared that New Yorks recent crime free fall was over. Homicides had declined a remarkable 72 percent over the previous decade, but that trend couldnt possibly continue, the academy opined. It is probable that another crime wave will engulf the City in the near future, warned Andrew Karmen, a sociologist at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, in 2000.

Karmen and his colleagues were right about the end of the crime drop; they just had the wrong city. The national crime decline, which had been only half as steep as New Yorks, did stall in the 2000s, and in many placessuch as Boston, once seen as a crime-fighting rival to New Yorklawlessness shot back up. Only in the Big Apple did crime keep falling: from 2001 to 2012, murders went down an additional 36 percent and major felonies another 31 percent. Even the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression couldnt reverse the citys crime drop, as the criminology professoriate had predicted it would.

New Yorks triumph over crime triggered the citys rebirth in the 1990s, with the most powerful benefits flowing to low-income neighborhoods newly liberated from fear. Maintaining the publics sense of security is the absolute precondition for future economic vitality. Youd think, therefore, that the next mayor would ponder long and hard before doing anything that might jeopardize this supreme accomplishment. Yet the Democratic mayoral candidates have been competing to out-demagogue one another regarding the New York Police Department, accusing it of racism and calling for fundamental change in how it responds to crime. Even if the next mayor turns out to be fully committed to keeping the NYPD on course, he and his police commissioner will probably face a new legal environment that will constrain the departments ability to maintain public safety. Figuring out how to function in that environment will be their first challenge.

(Snip)

@Geee

Well it was nice while it lasted.

ms13-group.jpg

Now they can go abvout there business without worrying about cops stopping them on the street.

Makes you weep sad.png

I live in an overwhelming minority neighborhood (I'm the token white guy) For the 1st 6 months or so the cops were always questioning me..who are you? What are you doing here? Where you live? Let me see some ID.

Was I profiled? Damn right I was. Because I didn't fit. Profiling is what cops do. You can't do police work withot profiling.