In South Africa, first lady credits ‘Little Rock Nine’ for White House win

Geee

south-africa-first-lady-credits-little-rock-nine-wWashington Times:

Comparing the U.S. civil-rights era to South Africans’ struggles against apartheid, first lady Michelle Obama told young South Africans Saturday that she and President Obama attained the White House because of the bravery of the “Little Rock Nine” students in the 1950s.

She also urged young people to follow her example and ignore “the haters” in society.

SEE RELATED: Obama’s call for tolerance of gays gets cold shoulder in Africa

“I know that I stand here today as first lady of the United States of America — and my husband is president — because of those nine young men and women in Little Rock, Arkansas,” Mrs. Obama said. “All these years later, so many of us are still benefitting from the sacrifices they made.”

Speaking to about 200 young adults at a forum in downtown Johannesburg, Mrs. Obama urged young people in South Africa to be inspired by the example of former President Nelson Mandela, imprisoned for 27 years during racist white rule. She said the anti-apartheid efforts that arose with student protests in South Africa 37 years ago had many similarities to the civil-rights struggle in the U.S.Scissors-32x32.png