Senate Dems’ Effort to Move to Budget Conference Blocked for 15th Time

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

senate-dems-effort-to-move-to-budget-conference-blocked-for-15th-timePj Media:

Senate Dems’ Effort to Move to Budget Conference Blocked for 15th Time

Cruz won't take a deal to keep debt ceiling out of budget negotiations.

by Bill Straub

June 28, 2013 - 1:50 pm

WASHINGTON – Republicans continue to stand in the way of efforts to kick-start Senate-House negotiations over the 2014 federal budget out of fear that any agreement might include raising the debt ceiling.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, attempted once again to get a vote on a proposed budget with the prospect of engaging in a conference committee with the lower chamber on a spending plan. That effort was blocked by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who insists that any agreement include language prohibiting conferees from reaching a debt limit deal.

The Budget Committee said it was the 15th time Democrats have attempted to go to conference since passing their budget 95 days ago.

The ongoing debate centers on the upper chamber’s sometimes arcane procedures. The Senate can pass a budget bill or any spending package emanating from a conference by garnering 50 votes. Considered separately, legislation to increase the debt limit is vulnerable to a filibuster, which requires 60 votes to call up for consideration. Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

The Dems don't really want the budget....they want the issue. Everything that comes out of Congress and the white House should be viewed in the light of the 2014 elections.

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree

The Dems don't really want the budget....they want the issue. Everything that comes out of Congress and the white House should be viewed in the light of the 2014 elections.

I know it's just a play out of the bigger playbook

@Draggingtree

This really applies to the Republicans also. They are looking at the Senate with Lust In Their Hearts.

Thus it has ever been.

I do however wonder just how many politicians really truly grasp the concept that We Are Broke?

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree

This really applies to the Republicans also. They are looking at the Senate with Lust In Their Hearts.

Thus it has ever been.

I do however wonder just how many politicians really truly grasp the concept that We Are Broke?

I would say maybe 3-5 Republicans