Go to the barricades for religious liberty

Valin

NY Daily News

Christians are the most persecuted creed worldwide

By Timothy Cardinal Dolan

June 28, 2013

Religious persecution isnt just something from the history books. The early 21st century will go down as an age of martyrs, and the situation is only getting worse. Its hard to believe, but today, more than a billion people live under governments that suppress religious liberty.

In many nations, the lack of religious freedom is a matter of life and death. Believers and non-believers alike suffer as a result of intolerance.

The news is grim. Two Orthodox archbishops on a mission of mercy are kidnapped in Syria. The ancient Christian community of Iraq is alarmingly reduced in the wake of the war. Blasphemy laws in Pakistan are used to intimidate Christians and other religious minorities with the death penalty. And churches are bombed in Nigeria on Christmas and Easter. Shockingly, some 150,000 Christians are killed for their faith each year.

Buddhists in Tibet face government repression and torture; Boko Haram, an extremist Muslim group, attacks both Christians and mainstream Muslims in Nigeria, and Muslim homes are torched in predominantly Buddhist Myanmar. Anti-Semitic harassment and persecution remain widespread.

According to the Pew Research Centers Forum on Religion & Public Life, 75% of the worlds population lives in countries with high governmental or societal restrictions on religion. Christians face harassment in the largest number of countries, followed by Muslims and Jews.

(Snip)

• Like 1

Used to be our archbishop before he moved to NY and became a cardinal. You just have to listen to him speak for 5 minutes to know that he is a different and special person. Destined by God to do great things, I think.

Used to be our archbishop before he moved to NY and became a cardinal. You just have to listen to him speak for 5 minutes to know that he is a different and special person. Destined by God to do great things, I think.

So in other words you're a homophobic, misogynistic hate filled hater, who doesn't want people who love each other to have happy fulfilling lives, and women are only for breeding, more slaves for the 1%. Right?

So in other words you're a homophobic, misogynistic hate filled hater, who doesn't want people who love each other to have happy fulfilling lives, and women are only for breeding, more slaves for the 1%. Right?

Your so psychic you scare me:o

The sad fact is a lot of people on the Left really do think that.

Well, my sister who is left left left, just thinks I am too dumb to know better. I just don't know the 'real' factsblink.png

Well, my sister who is left left left, just thinks I am too dumb to know better. I just don't know the 'real' facts:blink:

Well it must be admitted we are pretty dense, otherwise we would see how truly wonderful his Obamaness is.

• Like 1