The Glue Holding America Together

Geee

glue-holding-america-together-victor-davis-hansonNational Review:

By a.d. 200, the Roman Republic was a distant memory. Few citizens of the global Roman Empire even knew of their illustrious ancestors like Scipio or Cicero. Millions no longer spoke Latin. Italian emperors were a rarity. There were no national elections.

Yet Rome endured as a global power for three more centuries. What held it together?

A stubborn common popular culture and the prosperity of Mediterranean-wide standardization kept things going. The Egyptian, the Numidian, the Iberian, and the Greek assumed that everything from Roman clay lamps and glass to good roads and plentiful grain was available to millions throughout the Mediterranean world.

As long as the sea was free of pirates, thieves were cleared from the roads, and merchants were allowed to profit, few cared whether the lawless Caracalla or the unhinged Elagabalus was emperor in distant Rome.

Something likewise both depressing and encouraging is happening to the United States. Few Americans seem to worry that our present leaders have lied to or misled Congress and the American people without consequences.Scissors-32x32.png

You know me I Hate doom and gloom, but we do need to ask ourselves....quo vadis?

Most young people cannot distinguish the First Amendment from the Fourth Amendment — and do not worry about the fact that they cannot. Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln are mere names of grammar schools, otherwise unidentifiable to most.

And whose fault is this? (for an answer we might look in a mirror.)

righteousmomma

Valin, I looked in the mirror and all I saw was lil ole me, myself and I.

Unfortunately this majority of 1 ( cause united with God 1 is always a majority) soon dissolved into the nothingnesss of invisible ness (cause with the world 1 is of no consequence and impedes the progress of human evolvement)

Btw you are not to blame either nor are any of us here at TRR. If you read the comments at the end of VDH's latest summation of human history even there the great divide, the great delusion is evident.

Valin, I looked in the mirror and all I saw was lil ole me, myself and I.

Unfortunately this majority of 1 ( cause united with God 1 is always a majority) soon dissolved into the nothingnesss of invisible ness (cause with the world 1 is of no consequence and impedes the progress of human evolvement)

Btw you are not to blame either nor are any of us here at TRR. If you read the comments at the end of VDH's latest summation of human history even there the great divide, the great delusion is evident.

Thank you, but I would say we (you I people of faith or no faith but see) do bear responsibility. If not us...who? As much as I would love to put the blame somewhere else, but I can't. The reason I say this is we saw what was and is going on and didn't raise enough hell.

righteousmomma

Ok, while I understand what you are saying I still say "we" does not apply here. Many of us have "raised hell " about many of the issues and tried to instill principles and standards in our children and grand children over many, many years. Society and culture are changing not us. World views and world perspectives have shifted dramatically and we are fast becoming a different America than you and I have known and loved.

I will collectively accept no blame for any of this.

Ok, while I understand what you are saying I still say "we" does not apply here. Many of us have "raised hell " about many of the issues and tried to instill principles and standards in our children and grand children over many, many years. Society and culture are changing not us. World views and world perspectives have shifted dramatically and we are fast becoming a different America than you and I have known and loved.

I will collectively accept no blame for any of this.

Understood. The problem is waaay to many people are looking for someone else to blame. And so absolve themselves.