The assault on the First Amendment

Valin

the-assault-on-the-first-amendment.phpPower Line:

Scott Johnson

6/21/13

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell gave an important speech at AEI this morning on the continuing assault on the First Amendment. Senator McConnell is an expert on the First Amendment and he has seen the assault of which he speaks up close. Senator McConnell notes, for example:

Theres the widespread effort to stifle speech from within the government itself, something the Obama Administration has been engaged in from its earliest days. Some have traced this back even further, to the 2008 campaign. But my central point last June, and my central point today, is this: the attacks on speech that weve seen over the past several years were never limited to a few Left-wing pressure groups or the DISCLOSE Act. They extend throughout the federal government, to places like the FEC, the FCC, HHS, the SEC, and as all Americans now know even to the IRS. These assaults have often been aided and abetted by the administrations allies in Congress. And theyre as virulent as ever.

(Snip)

Senator McConnell smacks down AEIs Norm Ornstein )Vid At Link)

McConnell: Shhh! I’m exercising free speech!

Timothy Noah

06/21/2013

Raise your hand if you think that wealthy people and corporations in this country have a hard time getting their message out. Anyone? Ah, there’s one. You, sir, in the back. What’s that you say? Money is speech? And limits on campaign spending therefore suppress speech? And requirements to disclose who’s spending money to support which candidacies also suppress speech? But wait. Disclosure is just information. Isn’t disclosure speech too?

(Snip)

Terrible Timmy Noah is not happy with Mitch. Of course some might note he himself is being paid by an (evil) corporation.