In surprise, House defeats farm bill with big food stamp cuts

Valin

us-usa-agriculture-idUSBRE95J10C20130620Reuters:

WASHINGTON | Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07pm EDT

(Reuters) - Republican budget-cutters joined Democratic defenders of food stamps to defeat the $500 billion, five-year farm bill backed by GOP leaders on Thursday.

Agriculture Committee chairman Frank Lucas said there may not be a second chance to write a farm bill this year. Lucas' bill called for the largest cuts in food stamps in a generation.

(Snip)

More to follow I'm sure.

More to follow I'm sure.

GOP Blames Democrats For Farm Bill’s Failure to Pass

Katrina Trinko

June 20, 2013

In a surprising turn of events, the hotly-debated farm bill failed to pass the House today, with the final vote being 195 – 234.

The bill was widely expected to pass, despite being opposed by a significant chunk of House Republicans. According to GOP leadership aides, Representative Collin Peterson (D., Minn.), the ranking member of the House Agriculture Committee, had promised that there would be 40 Democrats voting for the bill. Peterson was aware that the Southerland Amendment – which permitted states to put in place requirements that food stamps recipients prove they were working or looking for work – was likely to pass.

But when the Southerland Amendment did pass, Democrats changed their minds. “I told [Majority Leader Eric] Cantor that Southerland cost us 15 votes,” Peterson said, per [url=http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/306857-house-rejects-farm-bill-that-cuts-restricts-food-stamp-program[The Hill. “A lot of people came up to me and said, I’m with you, but I’m out now.’” During the motion to recommit, Peterson told Cantor and House whip Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.) that he no longer had the votes.

In the final vote, only 24 Democrats voted for the farm bill. Sixty-two Republicans voted against the bill.

(Snip)