Intelligence chief Clapper: I gave ‘least untruthful’ answer on U.S. spying

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

intel-chief-clapper-gave-least-untruthful-answer-u-164742798.htmlYahoo News:

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper is really struggling to explain why he told Congress in March (see video above) that the National Security Agency does not intentionally collect any kind of data on millions of Americans. His latest take: It's an unfair question, he said, like "When are you going to stop beating your wife?" And it seems to depend on the meaning of "collect."

"I responded in what I thought was the most truthful, or least untruthful, manner by saying 'no,'" Clapper told NBC News on Sunday.

A newly revealed NSA program, however, in which the agency secretly vacuumed up the telephone records of millions of Verizon customers seems to fit the definition of both "data" and "millions of Americans."

Last week, Clapper said his "no" meant that NSA analysts don't read Americans' emails. Some have noted that could explain his earlier answer because "collect" has a precise meaning in intelligence-gathering circles, and it's along those lines.

On Sunday, Clapper elaborated: "This has to do with of course somewhat of a semantic, perhaps some would say too cute by half. But it is—there are honest differences on the semantics of what—when someone says 'collection' to me, that has a specific meaning, which may have a different meaning to him."

________

It depends on what the meaning of spying is...

Draggingtree

intel-chief-clapper-gave-least-untruthful-answer-u-164742798.htmlYahoo News:

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper is really struggling to explain why he told Congress in March (see video above) that the National Security Agency does not intentionally collect any kind of data on millions of Americans. His latest take: It's an unfair question, he said, like "When are you going to stop beating your wife?" And it seems to depend on the meaning of "collect."

"I responded in what I thought was the most truthful, or least untruthful, manner by saying 'no,'" Clapper told NBC News on Sunday.

A newly revealed NSA program, however, in which the agency secretly vacuumed up the telephone records of millions of Verizon customers seems to fit the definition of both "data" and "millions of Americans."

Last week, Clapper said his "no" meant that NSA analysts don't read Americans' emails. Some have noted that could explain his earlier answer because "collect" has a precise meaning in intelligence-gathering circles, and it's along those lines.

On Sunday, Clapper elaborated: "This has to do with of course somewhat of a semantic, perhaps some would say too cute by half. But it is—there are honest differences on the semantics of what—when someone says 'collection' to me, that has a specific meaning, which may have a different meaning to him."

________

It depends on what the meaning of spying is...

Reminds me of Bill Clinton statement

I did not have sex

What did you expect him to say in open session? Why yes We have a highly classified program we've been running for a number of years to do that very thing....Now don't tell anyone.

No @Valin I can think a "little" more logically than that.

"This has to do with of course somewhat of a semantic, perhaps some would say too cute by half. But it is—there are honest differences on the semantics of what—when someone says 'collection' to me, that has a specific meaning, which may have a different meaning to him."

I'd expect a little less weasel wording from a high level public figure. If he has to say, "I can not or will not answer this in an open forum".... I'm OK with that.

What did you expect him to say in open session? Why yes We have a highly classified program we've been running for a number of years to do that very thing....Now don't tell anyone.

No @Valin I can think a "little" more logically than that.

"This has to do with of course somewhat of a semantic, perhaps some would say too cute by half. But it is—there are honest differences on the semantics of what—when someone says 'collection' to me, that has a specific meaning, which may have a different meaning to him."

I'd expect a little less weasel wording from a high level public figure. If he has to say, "I can not or will not answer this in an open forum".... I'm OK with that.

You're right.