Hayward school to sponsor toy gun exchange

Valin

hayward-school-sponsors-toy-gun-exchangeSan Jose Mercury News:

Rebecca Parr

06/06/2013

HAYWARD -- An elementary school will hold a toy gun exchange Saturday, offering students a book and a chance to win a bicycle if they turn in their play weapons.

Strobridge Elementary Principal Charles Hill maintains that children who play with toy guns may not take real guns seriously.

"Playing with toys guns, saying 'I'm going to shoot you,' desensitizes them, so as they get older, it's easier for them to use a real gun," Hill said.

Every child who brings a toy gun will get a raffle ticket to win one of four bicycles, Hill said.

Hill said he got the idea for the toy gun exchange from a photographer, Horace Gibson, who takes students' school pictures and who expressed concern about the spate of shootings of young people by police in Oakland.

Hill said police are rightfully fearful of being shot when they encounter so many armed suspects, and there have been cases nationwide where police mistook a toy gun for a real one.

(Snip)

wallbash.gif ...wallbash.gif ...wallbash.gif

H/T Instapundit

From the Comments

Doug Boal ·
Die maker /Boring Mill operator at Standard Tool
My son sent me this link. He wishes they would do this at his school. He has about 10 broken airsoft guns and if they would give him money he would go buy a shotgun with it he told me! Made a dad smile...

laugh.png

• Like 1

clearvision

How many kids go grab daddy's gun and bring it in? (of course gun should be locked up, but still)

How many kids go grab daddy's gun and bring it in? (of course gun should be locked up, but still)

When I was a kid I could've made out like a bandit! All the guys were Packin!

My particular favorite was a combination squirtgun/dartgun. Plus the squirtgun nozzle could be swiveled, so you could shoot around corners. Waaaaaay cool!

Kids suspended for bringing Nerf guns to school with teacher's permission

Parents say a teacher asked the students to bring the toy in for a lesson in probability. But when the kids played with the so-called gun, they were in violation of the Edmonds, Wash., school's 'zero tolerance' policy.

Nina Golgowski

6/5/13

nerf6n-4-web.jpg

Several students at a Washington state elementary school were suspended after shooting guns at school, except the weapons were only harmless Nerf guns and the kids say it was their teacher who permitted them to bring them to class.

Regardless of the weapons being toys, the children violated the school's "zero tolerance" policy on guns of any kind when they were caught shooting off the foam darts Friday before class, administrators said.

However, the students say it was all for a class probability project that was approved by their Chase Lake Elementary School teacher.

(Snip)

Vid At Link

Alinker65 ‏@alinker65 17m

@BJUmholtz @ArcticFox2016 @Toupsfamily here in Md, they are petitioning to remove the letters G, U, and N from the alphabet....

Horace Gibson, who takes students' school pictures and who expressed concern about the spate of shootings of young people by police in Oakland.

Hey Horace.... I think they need to buy back cameras. Don't people say, "I'm gonna shoot his picture"?

OK, let's get real here.

Will any of these dingbat liberals be honest about the real factors, "demographics" and social habits corresponding to "young people shooting other people in Oakland". Of course they won't.

I'd bet that there is a stronger correlation between young people that played with basketballs as a kid and then shot someone... than those playing with a "toy gun" and then shooting someone.

Of course this comparison wouldn't be allowed by the PC Police... and surely basketballs do not influence that kind of antisocial behavior anyway... but it's no sillier than this "toy gun desensitization" theory.

green_gecko_playing_basketball_md_wm.gif