Report: NSA collecting data on all Verizon calls

Geee

More about "Our Hero"

Three Days of the Snowden

Scott Johnson

6/10/13

In a sidebar to the Washington Posts profile of of NSA leakmeister Edward Snowden, Barton Gellman reports regarding Snowden:

(Snip)

One more point. Read the Guardian profile and the Post articles and you will see that Snowden professes no loyalty to the United States. He conceives of himself as a citizen of the world, or of the realm of Digitalia. He does not sound like anyone to be trusted with an assessment on our behalf the costs and benefits of the course of action he has undertaken.

More at The Weekly Standard

pollyannaish

I do not trust anyone in the government. I just don't. And I don't trust Snowden either.

The thing is, who and what defines terrorism? It could too easily be redefined to mean any sort of anti government dissent. The GOP? Gun owners? Homeschoolers? Churchgoers? Prolifers?

An then they decide you or I are criminal and call up all our connections and begin to take down entire groups of people. The potential for abuse is huge. I know we need to fight terrorism, but the tech companies save this information themselves and it can very easily be called up after a a warrant is collected.

I would rather there be just one more roadblock between us and tyranny, no matter who the president is.

The IRS started out as a no political organization too. Just sayin'

Edited to add: How do we know a system like this couldn't be used by the executive branch to put pressure on politicians or

SCOTUS? It is just very, very tempting for the executive branch to abuse.'its bad enough already. I honestly believe we are headed for some real trouble. And I wouldn't be surprised with this administration if Romney and Roberts weren't test cases. Not a conspiracy, just using the tools at their disposal.

I do not trust anyone in the government. I just don't. And I don't trust Snowden either.

The thing is, who and what defines terrorism? It could too easily be redefined to mean any sort of anti government dissent. The GOP? Gun owners? Homeschoolers? Churchgoers? Prolifers?

An then they decide you or I are criminal and call up all our connections and begin to take down entire groups of people. The potential for abuse is huge. I know we need to fight terrorism, but the tech companies save this information themselves and it can very easily be called up after a a warrant is collected.

I would rather there be just one more roadblock between us and tyranny, no matter who the president is.

Edited to add: How do we know a system like this couldn't be used by the executive branch to put pressure on politicians or

SCOTUS? It is just very, very tempting for the executive branch to abuse.'its bad enough already. I honestly believe we are headed for some real trouble. And I wouldn't be surprised with this administration if Romney and Roberts weren't test cases. Not a conspiracy, just using the tools at their disposal.

I really do understand what you and others are saying. Name a Law that can't be abused? More oversight? ok I think I can live with that, I think the security agencies can also. Dump the data after a time? Ok. But we need a program like this, in order to find the bad guys. Something I read a while ago (I paraphrase) "In the Cold War our enemies were easy to find, but hard to kill. In this war (GWOT) our enemies are hard to find but easy to kill."

• Like 1

@nickydog

A. Thanks.

B. Down here in the grass roots I don't see a lot of people really doing thinking about this. I haven't been over to TOS, but at The Right Scoop almost everyone is screaming and hollering. Drives me nuts!

pollyannaish

I really do understand what you and others are saying. Name a Law that can't be abused? More oversight? ok I think I can live with that, I think the security agencies can also. Dump the data after a time? Ok. But we need a program like this, in order to find the bad guys. Something I read a while ago (I paraphrase) "In the Cold War our enemies were easy to find, but hard to kill. In this war (GWOT) our enemies are hard to find but easy to kill."

I get that. But here is my one simple question

If we were willing to honestly, openly and with what could be construed as profiling, target the bad guys, would we have to target everybody?

I get that. But here is my one simple question

If we were willing to honestly, openly and with what could be construed as profiling, target the bad guys, would we have to target everybody?

Two words Colleen LaRose

I don't have a problem profiling...spent 3 1/2 years doing exactly that. The question is, how do you know who to profile? You want to profile Muslims..fine what is a Muslim name? what does a Muslim look like? What is NSA simply put is gather in all the Signet they can, then try and find the bad guys. This is what they have always done.

Asian Governments, Businesses to Employees: Stop Using Gmail!

6/12/13

Countries in Asia are even more nervous about using big American tech companies like Google or Yahoo, thanks to the NSA’s leaked data collection program. Officials in Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, and Singapore once relied on mail services from Google and Yahoo to mail large attachments, but the Times of India reports that governments and businesses across Asia are making a push to wean their employees off American-based communications services and onto internal systems:

“Spokesmen at Japan’s foreign and defence ministries said transmitting work-related information through web-based e-mail services was strictly prohibited.

‘There has been a long-established rule within the foreign ministry against using such services as Gmail and Yahoo mail for work, and as a matter of fact we are not using them,’ said Masaru Sato, director of the foreign ministry’s international press division.”

Draggingtree

Stockman Asks for Subpoena of White House, IRS Phone Records Under “Perfectly Legal” PRISM Program

Posted on June 12, 2013 by Dean Garrison

On Tuesday Representative Steve Stockman (R-TX) asked the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee to subpoena all National Security Agency records of phone calls between employees of the White House and the Internal Revenue Service.

In typical Stockman-style he sarcastically pointed out the obvious stating, “Obama assures the public he only collected this information to uncover wrongdoing and protect civil liberties. Clearly he would want us to use it to investigate this case, because otherwise he’d be lying.”

Stockman’s office hand delivered a letter Tuesday afternoon to the Committee’s office requesting a subpoena “of all records of every phone call made from all public and private telephones of all IRS personnel to all public and private telephones of all White House personnel” collected under the NSA’s recently-revealed PRISM program Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://dcclothesline.com/2013/06/12/stockman-asks-for-subpoena-of-white-house-irs-phone-records-under-perfectly-legal-prism-program/

Draggingtree

12Jun

The Government As A Jealous Girlfriend [Reader Post]

By: Dave the Sage

Now I actually found this fairly amusing. This administration has definitely opened itself up to mockery even though the subject matter itself is in fact far from funny. But on the other hand, you almost have to laugh to keep oneself from sinking into a chronic depression or catatonic state as the ‘land of the free and the home of the brave’ is now evidently completely dominated and governed by people who think nothing of building multi-billion dollar facilities devoted to spying on American citizens and tracking and recording every word on the internet and every thought expressed in email.

I do not buy for one second that such things are merely designed and devoted to rooting out Akmed the unruly Pashtun in the back wilds of Pakistan. That may be the excuse, Scissors-32x32.png

http://floppingaces.net/2013/06/12/the-government-as-a-jealous-girlfriend-reader-post/