Why is the Benghazi military story still classified?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

2530934 Washington Examiner:

June 1, 2013 | 1:24 am | Modified: June 1, 2013 at 7:25 am

Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

In a previous post, I wrote that even as the public learns details of what happened in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack on the American facility in Benghazi, the story of what the U.S. military did, and did not, do to aid Americans under attack remains classified. Key details about what manned and unmanned aircraft were in the region, the actions of various emergency response forces, and the deliberations of commanders from the ground up are a U.S. government secret. Pentagon officials have shared some of that information with House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon and a few others, but only in classified briefings. Scissors-32x32.png

A few days ago I ran a theory past a well-informed Capitol Hill source. The email I sent:

Theory: The government, including the administration and relevant members of Congress, is keeping the military details of the Benghazi attack/response classified because they don’t want to the world to know how woefully unprepared we were in that troubled part of the world until we’ve had time to fix things. After our security stance is improved, then more details can be released.

Corollary: Keeping Benghazi information classified is against the instincts of many Republicans, but they Scissors-32x32.png

Am I missing it, or is there not a hue and cry coming from Congress about the missing witnesses? Do you think they know the mission of the consulate?

June 1, 2013 | 1:24 am | Modified: June 1, 2013 at 7:25 am

Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

In a previous post

A few days ago I ran a theory past a well-informed Capitol Hill source. The email I sent:

Theory: The government, including the administration and relevant members of Congress, is keeping the military details of the Benghazi attack/response classified because they don’t want to the world to know how woefully unprepared we were in that troubled part of the world until we’ve had time to fix things. After our security stance is improved, then more details can be released.

Corollary: Keeping Benghazi information classified is against the instincts of many Republicans, but they Scissors-32x32.png

20 hours to launch 2 fighters and a tanker.....20 hours! When did the AF stop having aircraft On Alert? I'm talking Fighters/bombers/tankers/AWACS. Not buying it. This whole thing from beginning to end stinks to high heaven.

Am I missing it, or is there not a hue and cry coming from Congress about the missing witnesses? Do you think they know the mission of the consulate?

You mean the ones at Walter Reed? Were I Darrel Issa I would gather the tropps and go down there and demand to see them....but that's just me.

Draggingtree

I think they were running guns to the rebels ohmy.png across the border

I also heard that the CIA was helping in directing drone strikes against the bad guys. Their effectiveness was why the Taliban wanted them out of Libya.

Draggingtree

I also heard that the CIA was helping in directing drone strikes against the bad guys. Their effectiveness was why the Taliban wanted them out of Libya.

All that adds up to why they did not have the people to protect the mission or themselfs