Christianity: Not What the Young New Atheist Expected

Valin

christianity-not-what-the-young-new-atheist-expectedFirst Thoughts:

David Mills

5/26/13

A cheering story: The Atheist Orthodoxy That Drove Me to Faith. Faith is something my generation is meant to be casting aside, not taking up, writes Megan Hodder, writing in the English weekly The Catholic Herald.

I was raised without any religion and was eight when 9/11 took place. Religion was irrelevant in my personal life and had provided my formative years with a rolling-news backdrop of violence and extremism.

Wanting to deal with her (apparently few) worries about atheism, she decided to read the religious enemies of reason. She was, you will have guessed, in for a surprise:

(Snip)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--'Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

C.S. Lewis

pollyannaish

christianity-not-what-the-young-new-atheist-expectedFirst Thoughts:

David Mills

5/26/13

A cheering story: The Atheist Orthodoxy That Drove Me to Faith. Faith is something my generation is meant to be casting aside, not taking up, writes Megan Hodder, writing in the English weekly The Catholic Herald.

I was raised without any religion and was eight when 9/11 took place. Religion was irrelevant in my personal life and had provided my formative years with a rolling-news backdrop of violence and extremism.

Wanting to deal with her (apparently few) worries about atheism, she decided to read the religious enemies of reason. She was, you will have guessed, in for a surprise:

(Snip)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--'Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

C.S. Lewis

CS Lewis is an amazing story. And writer. And Christian. We are blessed to have his mind to nurture our own walks.