Revealed: Obama Donor Sat in on IG Interviews with IRS Employees

Rheo

Revealed-Obama-Donor-Sat-In-On-IG-Interviews-With-IRS-Employees:

On Wednesday, House hearings on the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) political targeting of conservative groups uncovered a startling revelation about the interview process used to construct the Inspector General’s report: Obama donor-turned-IRS director of tax exempt organizations Holly Paz sat in on 36 of 41 interviews with IRS employees.

“Why was Holly Paz... in almost all of the interviews you conducted?” asked Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC). “Why would you have someone from the IRS in those meetings? Is that proper protocol?”

“I am unaware of it,” said Inspector General J. Russell George. “This is the first I’ve heard this.”

George then requested time to research the revelation. “This is the first time that I was made aware of this,” said George.

George then clarified he and his agency performed an audit, not an investigation.

“The operative word, Mr. Chairman, is audit,” said George. “It was not conducted as an investigation.”

Still, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) seemed unsettled that Paz was allowed to sit in on the IG’s interviews of IRS employees.

“Usually when you are conducting an investigation—I know this was an audit, I got that—you want to keep your witnesses separate because you’re in search of the truth and you are trying to make sure there’s no advantage of a person hearing what somebody else said,” said Cummings. “That’s pretty standard procedure.”

George ultimately conceded to Cummings that, “in hindsight, given this matter, obviously this seems somewhat unusual. I need to do a little more research.”

Scissors-32x32.png

House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) read testimony from Paz. Issa said Paz claimed the IG auditors left the room for a short time at the end of each interview so investigators could ask any additional questions.

Issa said Paz claimed either she or the recently removed IRS director of the tax-exempt unit, Lois Lerner, brokered the unusual interview scheme.

“Yes I believe... I can’t remember if I made the request or Lois Lerner made the request,” said Paz. “But we discussed that in order for the IRS to be able respond to the report we had to understand what information TIGTA [Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration] had and what they were being told.”

In 2008, Holly Paz donated $2,000 to the Obama campaign.

Draggingtree

The Detroit News:

May 25, 2013 at 1:00 am

Editorial quick hits: Ours

Special prosecutor for IRS?

As the White House obfuscated and IRS officer Lois Lerner plead the Fifth, calls for a special prosecutor grew louder in the nation's capital this week. Not so fast, says Michigan Rep. Dave Camp, R-Midland, who is overseeing House Ways and Means Committee investigations into the scandal.

“This is just the beginning of our investigation. There is clearly a culture of discrimination and political intimidation at the IRS that needs to be addressed,” Camp told The Detroit News. “There are investigations underway in the House, Senate and at the FBI, so there are plenty of people examining the issue and gathering all the facts so we can get to the bottom of this and ensure that it does not happen again. That is our job here in Congress and the IRS has a responsibility to be honest and cooperative with Congress on these matters. We need to let these investigations proceed uninterrupted.” Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130525/OPINION01/305250016/1008/Special-prosecutor-IRS-