Hobby Lobby tests birth-control coverage mandate

Valin

birth-control-coverage-up-for-federal-appeal-n1604281AP/Townhall:

5/23/13

DENVER (AP) In the most prominent challenge of its kind, Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. asked a federal appeals court Thursday for an exemption from part of the federal health care law that requires it to offer employees health coverage that includes access to the morning-after pill.

(Snip)

Hobby Lobby's lawyer argued that the Greens shouldn't face fines for not complying with mandatory contraceptive coverage simply because their business makes a profit. The stores are a "profit-making company, yes, but also a ministry," Kyle Duncan argued.

(Snip)

A lawyer for the U.S. Department of Justice argued that allowing for-profit corporations to exempt themselves from requirements that violate their religious beliefs would be in effect allowing the business to impose its religious beliefs on employees.

(Snip)

Hobby Lobby will probably be targeted as a Hate Organization like Chick Fil A.

How dare the people that own and run these companies have thoughts and beliefs differing from the liberal arbiters of right and wrong.

Besides oppression and discrimination against women and gays... Chick Fil A does not open it's doors on Sunday. What an Islamaphobic action!

Hobby Lobby will probably be targeted as a Hate Organization like Chick Fil A.

How dare the people that own and run these companies have thoughts and beliefs differing from the liberal arbiters of right and wrong.

Besides oppression and discrimination against women and gays... Chick Fil A does not open it's doors on Sunday. What an Islamaphobic action!

Now I'm not a big fan of Pat Buchanan (/understatement), but he did point out many years ago that we are in a culture war. This is part of it. If The Left wins this war....America as we knew/know it will be but a distant memory. And we put that near the top of the Bad Thing Column....if for no other reason than it won't work.

@Valin

Much of the "thinking" that we are confronted with today is totally upside down.

For instance, just because I don't like liver and choose not to eat liver... the PC thought police would probably brand me "Liver-phobic" meaning that I hate people who eat liver, discriminate against them, and try to deny them the ability to eat their icky food choice.

BTW, I really don't get the current use of the word "phobic". I always thought that it meant "having an irrational fear of something... and I'm certainly not scared of gay people. (That is "most" gay people.)

gay-obama.jpg

• 1 month later...

Court rules Hobby Lobby can challenge health law, won't have to pay fines

6/27/13

In a health care decision giving hope to opponents of the federal birth-control coverage mandate, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday that Hobby Lobby stores won't have to start paying millions of dollars in fines next week for not complying with the requirement.

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver decided the Oklahoma City-based arts and crafts chain can proceed with its case and won't be subject to fines in the meantime.

The reprieve gives Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. more time to argue in a lower court that for-profit businesses -- not just currently exempted religious groups -- should be allowed to seek an exception if the law violates their religious beliefs. The company had sued to overturn the mandate on grounds that it violates the faith of founder and CEO David Green and his family.

(Snip)