Garcetti Wins Los Angeles Mayor’s Race After Long Battle

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
los-angeles-mayors-race.html?_r=0NY Times:

LOS ANGELES — City Councilman Eric Garcetti won his bid to become the mayor of Los Angeles on Wednesday, bringing to a close a nearly two-year race that pitted him against another moderate Democrat with years of experience at City Hall.

As the results trickled in, Mr. Garcetti confidently told hundreds of supporters gathered at a Hollywood nightclub Tuesday night that the city had entrusted him with its leadership and he would not let Los Angeles residents down.

“Los Angeles is ready to put the recession in the rearview mirror and become the city of opportunity that I grew up in once again,” he said. “It’s time for Los Angeles not just to be a big city, but a great city once again. Whether you’re down and out, or whether you’re at the top, we all believe one thing, that L.A. is worth fighting for.”

His opponent, Wendy Greuel, the city controller who was vying to become the first woman to be mayor of the city, told her supporters just after 11 p.m. that the race was far from over, but as the night wore on Mr. Garcetti’s lead widened, with the final tally showing him with 54 percent to her 46 percent. The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday morning that Ms. Greuel had called Mr. Garcetti to concede.

Mr. Garcetti will take over a city that is facing large budget gaps, looming pension problems and complaints from voters over tattered sidewalks and gaping potholes.

Ms. Greuel spent part of her speech defending her support from labor unions, something Mr. Garcetti tried to turn into a liability throughout the campaign. “You know, a lot of people were telling me I needed to throw working people under the bus to win this race, but that was never going to happen under my watch.”

Mr. Garcetti now becomes the first Jewish mayor of the city. He is the son of Gil Garcetti, a former district attorney who became famous for prosecuting the football star O.J. Simpson. The grandson of Mexican immigrants who trace their roots to Italy, Mr. Garcetti speaks Spanish and used it frequently during the campaign.

________

After the Villaraigosa era, any change should be welcome...