'Tornado clearly targets conservatives': Daily Show creator faces backlash over insensitive tweet

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
Oklahoma-tornado-Daily-Show-creator-Lizz-Winstead-faces-backlash-insensitive-tweet.htmlUK Daily Mail:

She thought she was making a topical political joke, but a co-creator of ‘The Daily Show’ managed to enrage many of her followers after tweeting joke about the Oklahoma tornado’s political motivations.

‘This tornado is in Oklahoma so clearly it has been ordered to only target conservatives,’ wrote comedian Lizz Winstead, in a tweet, around 3:30 Monday afternoon.

The tweet was an apparent attempt at using the occasion of the May 20 twister to comment on the scandal currently plaguing the IRS and Obama administration.

Winstead, co-creator and former head writer for ‘The Daily Show,’ promptly received a stream of angry responses to her tweet.

User @swashamokc wrote, ‘As an Oklahoman, I don’t think this was something that would result in my continuing to follow you.’

An unrepentant Winstead responded, ‘If its not OK to YOU for me to combine news stories to point out hypocrisy AND Im not making fun of victims u shld Unfollow.’

But then gravity of the tornado’s impact became clear. Winstead’s joke suddenly wasn’t so humorous and the normally funny lady was all red.

‘Made a political joke, Twas before devastation revealed. In hindsight, had I understood, I would have refrained. Beyond sorry. ‪#LetMeHaveIt’ she tweeted about three and a half hours after her original joke.

News of her faux pas had spread by then, however.

She deleted the tweet, but the ire continued flowing into her Twitter page.

________

On the Internet, stupidity can live forever...