Obama has explaining to do on Benghazi

Valin

chaffetz-benghazi-questionsCNN:

Jason Chaffetz

5/10/13

Washington (CNN) -- In testimony that sharply contradicted the Obama administration's initial narrative of the September 11, 2012, terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya, three witnesses shared firsthand accounts this week of what happened before, during and after the attack.

The three testified before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, recounting the horrific events that took the lives of four heroic Americans that day at the U.S. Consulate. Much of what we have known about Benghazi to this point has come from Obama administration sources. The accounts of these brave witnesses raise troubling questions about the veracity of what we've been told by official sources since the attack took place.

(Snip)

We have four dead Americans. To date, nobody has been captured or killed. The terrorists are still on the run. And we have an increasing number of contradictions between what we were led to believe and what the witnesses say actually happened. It's hard to take any refutations of the testimony seriously given the impeccable credentials of the witnesses and the despicable record of misdirection from this administration.

New Pinned Thread

The Whistle blower Blocker

6 things you need to know about Cheryl Mills

Deputy chief of mission for the U.S. in Libya Gregory Hicks testified Wednesday that he was told by the State Department not to meet with Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R., Utah), when he traveled to Libya to investigate the Benghazi attack.

During that trip, a lawyer from the State Department was excluded from a classified meeting because he did not have the appropriate security clearance. Following that meeting, State Department general counsel Cheryl Mills called Hicks angry, demanding a report about the meeting. “A phone call from that near a person is generally not considered to be good news,” Hicks said Wednesday.

Who is Cheryl Mills? She was general counsel and chief of staff to Secretary Hillary Clinton during the Benghazi attack. She is also one of the ultimate Clinton insiders. Here are six things you should know:

1. She’s been working for the Clintons on and off since 1992.

2. She’s known to be combative and tough.

3. She’s also very, very loyal to the Clintons.

4. She’s probably best known for her defense of Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial.

5. She sat on the board of the Center for American Progress.

6. ‘The Clintons trust her implicitly.’

David Gelernter: Who is on trial for Benghazi?

Obviously President Obama and Hillary Clinton are on trial—not before a court, but in the minds of thoughtful people everywhere. It appears (given the limited evidence we have so far) that they were grossly negligent before Benghazi, criminally incompetent that night of the attack, and then that they aided and abetted a conspiracy to lie about the murders—all for the obvious political reasons and because Obama and Clinton (and nearly all their leftist friends) believe that Americans are stone-stupid. But the real trial deals with other suspects.

It is the Democratic Party that’s on trial today; and to a lesser extent, America’s mainstream media. For Democrats (and especially Democratic senators) it is put-up-or-shut-up time: are they Democrats or Americans first? Obviously their first instinct was to defend the Democratic administration. Republicans would have done the same. But starting with the Hayes story on the Rice propaganda points (and the neo-Soviet process that turned them from truth to lies), and then the Issa hearing Wednesday (and a recent ABC news piece focusing again on the phonied-up talking points), no honest observer can fail to suspect this administration of doing unspeakable things. It is Congress’s duty to find out the truth.

How would Republicans act if a GOP administration were under this sort of cloud? We know exactly how. It was the radically partisan Edward Kennedy who proposed that a senate select committee investigate Watergate—but in February 1973, the Senate voted unanimously to create that committee. Republican Senator Howard Baker was vice chairman, and asked the key question: ”What did the president know and when did he know it?” Which Democratic senator will ask that question today, now that the issue isn’t breaking-and-entering but lying about four murders, including the murder of an American ambassador? Which cabinet member will be Eliot Richardson and resign rather than continuing to be part of a coverup? Will John Kerry rise to the challenge?

(Snip)

"... no honest observer can fail to suspect this administration of doing unspeakable things."

The thing is, how many observers are there really in this country, and of the ones observing how many are honest?

Draggingtree

May 10, 2013 5:00 PM

The Benghazi Lie

A failure of character of this magnitude corrodes the integrity of the state.

ByMark Steyn

Shortly before last November’s election I took part in a Fox News documentary on Benghazi, whose other participants included the former governor of New Hampshire John Sununu. Making chit-chat while the camera crew were setting up, Governor Sununu said to me that in his view Benghazi mattered because it was “a question of character.” That’s correct. On a question of foreign policy or counterterrorism strategy, men of good faith can make the wrong decisions. But a failure of character corrodes the integrity of the state.

That’s why career diplomat Gregory Hicks’s testimony was so damning — not so much for the new facts as for what those facts revealed about the leaders of this republic. In this space in January, I noted that Hillary Clinton had denied ever seeing Ambassador Stevens’s warnings about deteriorating security in Libya on the grounds that “1.43 million cables come to my office” — and she can’t be expected to see all of them, or any. Once Ambassador Stevens was in his flag-draped coffin listening to her eulogy for him at Andrews Air Force Base, he was her bestest friend in the world — it was all “Chris this” and “Chris that,” Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalr...80/benghazi-lie

Just a couple of tweets by Sharyl Atkinsson

smallerAttkissonUsherPictureAltenate1_normal.jpg

I've been told similarly plus more assets in many places close by.

More exposing of WH bs. This story has a long way to go. Where will it end?

Drip Drip Drip

Top Obama official’s brother is president of CBS News, may drop reporter over Benghazi coverage

Patrick Howley

5/11/13

The brother of a top Obama administration official is also the president of CBS News, and the network may be days away from dropping one of its top investigative reporters for covering the administration’s scandals too aggressively.

CBS News executives have reportedly expressed frustration with their own reporter, Sharyl Attkisson, who has steadily covered the Obama administration’s handling of the Benghazi terrorist attack in Libya since late last year.

(Snip)

That reporting revealed that President Obama’s deputy national security advisor, Ben Rhodes — brother of CBS News president David Rhodes — was instrumental in changing the talking points in September 2012.

ABC’s reporting revealed that Ben Rhodes, who has a masters in fiction from NYU, called a meeting to discuss the talking points at the White House on September 15, 2012.

(Snip)

Just a couple of tweets by Sharyl Atkinsson

Now right off the top I'm gonna give this....A. It has been a loooong time since I was in the AF, B. I was just a cop and walked around planes, so what is required to mount a sortie is above my paygrade

But that whole 20 hour meme struck me as a large steaming pile of B S right from the time I 1st heard it. 20 hours to rustle up a KC and 2 fighters? I may have been born at night...but it wasn't Last Light. In the interest of bi-partisanship I'll give you 8 hours but 20...no way baby noooooo.

Because if 20 hours is what is required to do something like this....Houston...We Have A Problem.

After Benghazi is resolved, someone ought to investigate the MSM and it's relationship to this WH. There is more to it than just saying they are a bunch of liberals.

Has anyone seen any reporting of what occurred in that 'private' meeting yesterday before the formal press conference?

CBS Anchor: 'We Are Getting Big Stories Wrong, Over and Over Again'

"Our house is on fire," said Pelley. The video of Pelley's speech is courtesy of nowthisnews.com.

"These have been a bad few months for journalism," he added. "We're getting the big stories wrong, over and over again."

The CBS newsreader was quick to take at least partial blame. "Let me take the first arrow: During our coverage of Newtown, I sat on my set and I reported that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school. And that her son had attacked her classroom. It's a hell of a story, but it was dead wrong. Now, I was the managing editor, I made the decision to go ahead with that and I did, and that's what I said, and I was absolutely wrong. So let me just take the first arrow here."

And Pelley said the republic relies on the quality of the news business. "Democracies succeed or fail based on their journalism," said Pelley. "America is strong because its journalism is strong. That's how democracies work. They're only as good as the quality of the information that the public possesses. And that is where we come in."

http://www.weeklysta...ain_722331.html

After Benghazi is resolved, someone ought to investigate the MSM and it's relationship to this WH. There is more to it than just saying they are a bunch of liberals.

Has anyone seen any reporting of what occurred in that 'private' meeting yesterday before the formal press conference?

A where do you expect it to lead to? How you purpose to stop private meeting between the press and anyone in the WH? The thing is (and I am not say this is no big deal) 10-15 years ago you and I would not know this happened, and I suspect it has been happening for a very long time no matter witch party controls the WH., this report is one more example of the new age we are entering into. So get ready for more.

CBS Anchor: 'We Are Getting Big Stories Wrong, Over and Over Again'

"Our house is on fire," said Pelley. The video of Pelley's speech is courtesy of nowthisnews.com.

"These have been a bad few months for journalism," he added. "We're getting the big stories wrong, over and over again."

The CBS newsreader was quick to take at least partial blame. "Let me take the first arrow: During our coverage of Newtown, I sat on my set and I reported that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school. And that her son had attacked her classroom. It's a hell of a story, but it was dead wrong. Now, I was the managing editor, I made the decision to go ahead with that and I did, and that's what I said, and I was absolutely wrong. So let me just take the first arrow here."

And Pelley said the republic relies on the quality of the news business. "Democracies succeed or fail based on their journalism," said Pelley. "America is strong because its journalism is strong. That's how democracies work. They're only as good as the quality of the information that the public possesses. And that is where we come in."

http://www.weeklysta...ain_722331.html

A. IMO This deserves its own thread. B. Pelly is correct in saying there is a problem, C. I get the feeling that he wishes we were back 20 years ago when They (the media powers that be) were in control D. Ok Scott you have apparently from this short clip analyzed the problem, so what are you and CBS/ABC/NBC and the rest of broadcast meadia going to do about this problem? Sorry the genie is not going back in the bottle....welcome to the Hinge Of History.

"A where do you expect it to lead to?"

Have absolutely no idea. I was just venting.

Don't hold lunch waiting.

B. Daniel Blatt points to a very good question.

And this

If Democrats say, well Benghazi was long ago and Republicans are just obsessing about Benghazi, then respond that the reason we keep bringing this up is because the Obama team refuses to answer the questions. And until we know the answers, we’ll keep pressing.

(Snip)

Hugh Hewitt said last week (I paraphrase) We Just Want To Know What Happened.

"... no honest observer can fail to suspect this administration of doing unspeakable things."

The thing is, how many observers are there really in this country, and of the ones observing how many are honest?

.............. and how many of the ones observing CARE??
  • Like 1

Draggingtree

Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs…Petraeus Was Frustrated With Talking Points That Removed All Mention of Jihadists

Posted on May 11, 2013 by Pamela Geller

Is it any wonder that Petreaus’s private life suddenly exploded?

The Weekly Standard reported new details today describing how then-CIA Director David Petraeus voiced surprise when he learned the Saturday after the attack that officials had deleted all prior references to Al Qaeda and jihadists, leaving only the word “extremists.” US. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice would use the final version of the talking points to say on several Sunday shows that the attack was triggered by protests over an anti-Islam film. The maker of that film is the person arrested and currently serving time for events surrounding the jihadi attack on the US consulate and the slaughter of our countrymen.

Greg Hicks, former deputy chief of mission in Libya, saidScissors-32x32.png

Petraeus was frustrated with Benghazi talking points that removed all mention of jihadist involvement JihadwatchScissors-32x32.png

http://dcclothesline.com/2013/05/11/pamela-geller-atlas-shrugs-petraeus-was-frustrated-with-talking-points-that-removed-all-mention-of-jihadists/

Administration Relying on Shoddy Benghazi Report to Absolve Itself of Blame

VICTORIA TOENSING

5/12/13

The White House has touted the Accountability Review Board (ARB) investigation of the Benghazi massacre as a review “led by two men of unimpeachable expertise and credibility that oversaw a process that was rigorous and unsparing.” In fact, the report was purposefully incomplete and willfully misleading.

The two men in charge of the ARB, Ambassador Thomas Pickering and Admiral Thomas Mullen, a diplomat and military man respectively, have no meaningful investigative experience. Instead of letting the facts lead the direction of the investigation, the report appears designed to protect the interests of Hillary Clinton, the State Department higher ups, and the president.

A most obvious question is: why was Secretary Clinton never interviewed for the investigation? She is mentioned only once in the report, as the person who convened the Board. If, as Clinton herself has said, she took full responsibility for what happened in Benghazi, her decisions and decision-making process are materially relevant for investigating what happened before and during the night of September 11, 2012, and preventing what went wrong from ever happening again.

(Snip)