Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

clearvision

clearvision

dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-websiteFOX News:

The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

Plans for the working handgun were posted online Monday by Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed, potentially allowing anyone with access to a 3D printer to make a firearm from plastic. The plans, which had been in the works for months, caused alarm among gun control advocates but were seen by some Second Amendment advocates as a breakthrough. More than 100,000 copies of the plans were downloaded before the federal government took the files.

“[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”Scissors-32x32.png

-----

I think he posted the banner, not the gov, but still evidently was asked to stop.

Defense Distributed's Cody Wilson On Being Told To Remove 3-D Printed Gun Plans: "We Win"

100,000 downloads just might prove him right.

Kelsey D. Atherton

Earlier today we reported that Defense Distributed, an organization that recently released open-source plans for a 3-D printed gun, received a letter from the U.S. State Department to remove the plans.

Defense Distributed Founder Cody Wilson's reaction: "I'm disappointed, not surprised," he tells us in a phone interview. And besides, he says, "[The blueprint] has been downloaded over 100,000 times, so it's like, I mean, we win."

What he means is that though he complied with the State Department and removed the files from his site, the files still exist elsewhere on the internet. A lot of the downloads were through the online file-hosting service Mega, based in New Zealand, and the peer-to-peer file sharing site Pirate Bay has copies as well.

(Snip)

The Federal Government, A day late and a dollar short.

David Frum is not happy with this technology.

Reminds me of Pope Innocent II in 1139 banned the use of crossbows, as well as slings and bows, against Christians.

How did that work out?

Welcome to the XXIst century....fasten your seatbelt its going to be a bumpy ride.