9/11 Memorial goes back on its word, charges reservation fee; victims' families furious

Valin

death_toll_F46VkaFcmibFMHQMYgr0qJNY Post:

KATE BRIQUELET

April 14, 2013

The 9/11 Memorial foundation, funded to the tune of $830 million, has begun nickel-and-diming visitors for ticket reservations.

Even though the nonprofit has long vowed admission to the sacred site would be free, it is now demanding $2 per ticket for all advance reservations made online or by phone.

Officials quietly rolled out the fee on March 1 — but it did not escape the notice of some outraged families of Sept. 11 victims.

“I don’t want the American public to have to pay a dime to pay respects to my son,” said Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son, Christian, died in the World Trade Center attacks.

“They made . . . a vow that no one would ever be charged for going to the memorial, but money is the bottom line here,” she fumed.

(Snip)

Construction on the underground museum ground to halt in late 2011 after the Port Authority, which owns the land, claimed the nonprofit owed $300 million in cost overruns. Development restarted after both sides reached a deal last September.

How the memorial and museum will foot its bills remains unclear.

Daniels is mulling a $20 mandatory admission or a $25 suggested donation for the museum, similar to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, once it opens in 2014.

Visiting the memorial — a public plaza — will be free, eventually.

(Snip)

I've got two words for these clowns!