Abortion, The Mainstream Media, And The Limits Of Shaming

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

abortion-the-mainstream-media-and-the-limits-of-shamingFirst Things:

Saturday, April 13, 2013, 10:25 PM

Pete Spiliakos | @petespiliakos

We seem to be in a moment when the national mainstream media either has, or is about to prominently cover the Gosnell horrors. The week-long prolife campaign to increase coverage seems to have finally broken down resistance to covering the Gosnell trial in the most prominent forums of the most popular outlets. The New York Times hasn’t put the trial on its front page yet, but that might well be coming. CNN led off with the story yesterday. Conor Friedersdorf (in a wonderful essay) is correct to wonder how the Gosnell story hasn’t become a prominent national story earlier given all the story’s many horrible news hooks. Megan McArdle admits that her own pro-choice sympathies might have inclined her to shy away from the story. I would like to think that most journalists at mainstream outlets are similarly rethinking their coverage of abortion, but I doubt it. Friedersdorf and McArdle are pro-choice on abortion, but they are also libertarians rather than liberals. While most mainstream media outlets will surrender to the pressure and cover this story more, I think that most of their liberal staff members will consider this a defeat at the hands of their enemies rather than a lesson on how to do their jobs better.

First let’s be clear what I mean by “mainstream” media. It isn’t MSNBC. Like many (but not all) programs on Fox News, MSNBC exists to make money by making its viewers feel better about being on either the conservative or liberal ideological team. MSNBC has a mutually beneficial relationship with Fox News and conservative talk radio in which each side trolls the other. Most people don’t get their news from either MSNBC, or Fox News or talk radio. The mainstream media like ABC, NBC, CBS, and the New York Times might be called culturally biased news. Scissors-32x32.png

abortion-the-mainstream-media-and-the-limits-of-shamingFirst Things:

Saturday, April 13, 2013, 10:25 PM

Pete Spiliakos | @petespiliakos

We seem to be in a moment when the national mainstream media either has, or is about to prominently cover the Gosnell horrors. The week-long prolife campaign to increase coverage seems to have finally broken down resistance to covering the Gosnell trial in the most prominent forums of the most popular outlets.

Like so many of us bigoted extremest right wingers, I've been following this closely. What I find interesting (in a bang my head against the wall sort of way) is what I've seen coming from the grass roots of the Left.....This is all the fault of the Pro-Life Movement. If those (expletive deleted) Anti-Choicers were not doing all they can to stop women from killing their babies any time for any (or no) reason, Then Family Medical Society would not have operated in the way it did.

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen that sentiment too, Valin, that these mean old far-right anti-choicers are actually the ones responsible for Gossner. I guess the only good thing about it is the left is finally showing their true ugly colors - defending this is hideous.

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen that sentiment too, Valin, that these mean old far-right anti-choicers are actually the ones responsible for Gossner. I guess the only good thing about it is the left is finally showing their true ugly colors - defending this is hideous.

A question could be asked....are there any more clinics like Kermit Gosnell's little house of horrors out there. I'd be willing to make a small wager there are.

Draggingtree

A question could be asked....are there any more clinics like Kermit Gosnell's little house of horrors out there. I'd be willing to make a small wager there are.

God I hope not, but its all about the dollar lightningbolt.gif

Nothing would surprise me less.

I understand the going rate is $300.00.

Draggingtree

I heard on the Bill Bennett show that Dr. had $247,000. in cash in his daughters closet.

I heard on the Bill Bennett show that Dr. had $247,000. in cash in his daughters closet.

Well certainly his cleaning overhead was low.

But then it was just a bunch of poor black women...so you know...Ya gotta set some priorities.....Right?

• Like 1

Eric Holder’s wife co-owns abortion clinic building run by indicted abortionist

Scissors-32x32.png

“It certainly underscores the deep ties the Obama Administration has to the abortion issue,” said Handel, author of the new book, Planned Bullyhood: The Truth Behind the Headlines about the Planned Parenthood Funding Battle with Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

“This certainly seems to shed some additional light into why Obama and his team seem obsessed with protecting Planned Parenthood and abortion rights at the expense of other important issues in the country.”…

Davis pointed to cases in which activists have sued Planned Parenthood for alleged Medicaid fraud – in Georgia, Iowa, Texas, New York, and Massachusetts – but where Holder’s Justice Department has failed to act.

“The U.S. attorney general has not at all pursued a case against any of them, including this one in Georgia where his wife owns the property,” Davis said.

Nov 13, 2012

Thanks to pro-lifers Michelle Wolven and Catherine Davis, a small group of us have been on this story for weeks.

While Michelle and Catherine were digging through online records of Georgia abortion clinics, they stumbled on the fact that Attorney General Eric Holder's wife Sharon Malone Holder (both pictured right) co-owns with her sister an Atlanta area abortion clinic building.

The building is located at 6210 Old National Highway, College Park, Georgia.

http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/10/bre...

[Clinic abortionist indicted on Medicaid charges]

What's more, the abortionist at Old National, Tyrone Cecile Malloy, was indicted last year by a Georgia grand jury on charges of Medicaid fraud.

http://www.oldnationalgyn.com/

The paper trail backward, according to Anderson:

The same tax records show the building was formerly owned by Dr. Mack A. Jones, late husband of another of Holder's sister-in-laws, Vivian Malone Jones. Her death, announced in an Oct. 14, 2005 obituary in The Washington Post, reported that she was Malone Holder's sister.

Draggingtree

April 15, 2013

Before the Gosnell Blackout, There Was Tiller's

By Jack Cashill

If there was any real difference between what the late abortionist George Tiller did in Wichita over the course of his long career and what Kermit Gosnell did in Philadelphia, it was hygiene.

Tiller had a largely white, middle-class clientele. They came to him from all over the world. Before his murder in 2009, he had boasted on his website of having "more experience in late abortion services with fetuses over 24 weeks than anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere, more than 60,000 since 1973."

Like Gosnell, Tiller routinely took the lives of healthy, viable babies eager to be born, in flagrant violation of state law. But given the expectations of his clients, Tiller kept a neater shop and, to ease the conscience of his supporters, almost always performed his mayhem out of sight, within the womb Scissors-32x32.png

Gosnell kept one room in the facility clean for the odd "white girl from the suburbs." Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.americant...as_tillers.html