Comedian Jonathan Winters Dies

Valin

comedian-jonathan-winters-diesABC:

Lesley Messer

4/12/13

Comedian Jonathan Winters, one of the most popular entertainers of his generation, has died. He was 87.

“John passed away last evening at 6:45 p.m. surrounded by family and friends in Montecito, Calif., of natural causes,” family friend and collaborator Joe Petro III told ABC News Radio.

Born in Dayton, Ohio, Winters was a Marine in World War II and then studied art before beginning a career in radio. It was in that medium that he discovered his gift for comedy.

“Johnny and I started out together,” Carol Burnett tells ABC News in a statement. “[He] was a genius and a brilliant artist and two of his paintings are hanging in my home.”

Soon, he transitioned to television, and in 1956, launched his own TV variety show, “The Jonathan Winters Show.” He was also a regular on Johnny Carson’s “Tonight Show,” and famously starred in the final season of “Mork & Mindy” along with Robin Williams.

(Snip)

He was so funny without having to resort to the filthy language of today's comedians. Bill Cosby ( who is also funny without filth) also used to comment about how comedy has degenerated.

He was so funny without having to resort to the filthy language of today's comedians. Bill Cosby ( who is also funny without filth) also used to comment about how comedy has degenerated.

Dick Cavett was interviewing him on his show and Robin Williams showed up....5 minutes later Dick stated he had completely lost control of the show, went and sat in the audience. What followed was (right hand to God) the funniest 30 minutes I have ever seen. It was like two great jazz musicians riffing off each other.

Dick Cavett was interviewing him on his show and Robin Williams showed up....5 minutes later Dick stated he had completely lost control of the show, went and sat in the audience. What followed was (right hand to God) the funniest 30 minutes I have ever seen. It was like two great jazz musicians riffing off each other.

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

We have googled this all night. Nothing.

Were you all at the same 60's party? biggrin.png

I've been looking for it for years....no joy.