White House denies Jay-Z rap claim about Cuba visit

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

?intcmp=trendingFox News:

You generally don't want to get into a rap rivalry with Jay-Z.

But the White House on Thursday challenged the mega-artist after he released a track suggesting he got "White House clearance" for his controversial trip to Cuba with wife Beyonce.

Jay Carney, President Obama's press secretary, categorically denied the claim -- reiterating that the Treasury Department handles clearance.

"I guess nothing rhymes with Treasury," Carney joked, before clarifying: "The White House, from the president on down, had nothing to do with anybody's ... travel to Cuba. That is something that Treasury handles."

Jay-Z released the track Thursday shortly after returning from Cuba, a trip that drew criticism from Cuban-American lawmakers in Congress who questioned how the couple got permission to travel to the communist-run island.

The rapper boasted at length about the visit, suggesting Obama was involved.

"I done turned Havana into Atlanta," he rapped. "Boy from the hood, but got White House clearance."

He continued: "Politicians never did s--- for me except lie to me, distort history, wanna give me jail time and a fine. Fine, let me commit a real crime. ... Obama said, 'Chill you gonna get me impeached.' You don't need this s--- anyway, chill with me on the beach.'"

The track resulted in a bizarre scene at Thursday's White House briefing, as a reporter read aloud the lyrics to Carney. Jay-Z and Beyonce are both Obama supporters.

"It's a song," Carney said. "The president's not communicating with Jay-Z over this trip."

________

They've got 99 problems and Jay-Z ain't one...