The end of the road

Geee

editorial-end-roadWashington Times:

Fisker Automotive, the hybrid carmaker based in Anaheim, Calif., announced Friday that it would lay off 75 percent of its workforce, a sign the onetime darling of the “greens” is sputtering toward the end of the road. This story grows ever more familiar.

Henrik Fisker designed some of the most attractive cars on the road, notably the Aston Martin DB9. So when Mr. Fisker came up an idea for his own car that would align perfectly with President Obama’s green-energy investment strategy, it seemed to be a match made in automotive heaven. Taxpayers would put up the capital and bear the risk, and the marketplace could “catch up” and accept electric cars. This is the strategy crashing into a ditch.

In 2009, Vice President Joe Biden told a crowd of politicians and union members assembled in Delaware that Fisker, with a $500 million government startup loan, would take over an abandoned General Motors plant and build a dream car. “Thanks to a real commitment by this administration, loans from the Department of Energy, the creativity of U.S. companies and the tenacity of great state partners like Delaware,” he said, “we’re on our way to helping America’s autoindustry reclaim its top position in the global market.” Delaware’s “commitment” included $12.5 million in state economic development loans and $9 million to retool the abandoned plant with the promise that Fisker would hire up to 2,000 workers to manufacture the $100,000 electric-hybrid luxury car.Scissors-32x32.png

editorial-end-roadWashington Times:

Fisker Automotive, the hybrid carmaker based in Anaheim, Calif., announced Friday that it would lay off 75 percent of its workforce, a sign the onetime darling of the “greens” is sputtering toward the end of the road. This story grows ever more familiar.

So long, electric car. We hardly knew ya.

Electric cars....I have this photo in mind

north-dakota-bliz510.jpg

Gets a little nippy up here in the north country for around 4 months out of the year. Batteries and sub zero temperatures do not play well together.

@Valin

That's a funny looking charging station. But I suppose it makes sense to attach a net and a hoop to it while you are waiting.

Welcome to the Plains States in January.

So I get up this morning look out the window and what wonderful sight greets me? about an inch of Snow! We are not pleased!!!

@Valin

Scissors-32x32.pngSo I get up this morning look out the window and what wonderful sight greets me? about an inch of Snow! We are not pleased!!!

Scissors-32x32.png

I won't add the fact that Obama's still in office this morning