Annette Funicello, Mouseketeer and film star, dies

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

annette-funicello-mouseketeer-film-star-dies-172321939.htmlYahoo News:

NEW YORK (AP) — Annette Funicello, who became a child star as a perky, cute-as-a-button Mouseketeer on "The Mickey Mouse Club" in the 1950s, then teamed up with Frankie Avalon in a string of '60s fun-in-the-sun movies with titles like "Beach Blanket Bingo" and "Bikini Beach," died Monday. She was 70.

She died at Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield, Calif., of complications from multiple sclerosis, the Walt Disney Co. said.

Funicello stunned fans and friends in 1992 with the announcement about her ailment. Yet she was cheerful and upbeat, grappling with the disease with a courage that contrasted with her lightweight teen image of old.

Though she was mostly out of the public eye for many years, she was seemingly never forgotten.

"She will forever hold a place in our hearts as one of Walt Disney's brightest stars, delighting an entire generation of baby boomers with her jubilant personality and endless talent," said Bob Iger, Disney chairman and CEO.

Avalon said Monday that Funicello never realized how beloved she was.

"She would say, 'Really?'" he told The Associated Press. "She was so bashful about it. She was an amazing girl." He added: "She really had a tough existence. It's like losing a family member. I'm devastated, but I'm not surprised."

________

RIP Annette.

righteousmomma

She had waged a courageous battle with ms

That is 3 deaths in the public eye in 3 days - Rick Warren's son Matthew, The Great Lady Margaret Thatcher and now Annette.

Edited to say I forgot about Edith Schaefer. So that's 4 for me because she meant a lot to me and my spiritual growth.