But It’s Still on the Calendar

Geee

but-its-still-on-the-calendarAmerican Spectator:

There’s a calendar hanging in the Spectator kitchen, the sort that has a picture and a canned line of wisdom attached to each month. During March we’re told, “Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something,” accompanied by a man leaning so far on his motorcycle that he surely fell off a few seconds later. And yet, despite the secular, non-religious nature of the calendar, March 29 is listed as “Good Friday,” and marked in green to designate a holiday.

That caught my eye when I was pouring my coffee yesterday. America, by the numbers, is losing its faith. Religion has been relegated to a background role in society; the quiet, inoffensive province of the individual. To even suggest it ought to be something more is to draw snickers and accusations of extremism.

Yet Good Friday, the darkest day on the liturgical calendar, the solemn remembrance of Christ’s crucifixion, is often still regarded as a secular holiday. Many businesses close after lunch. Many mainstream restaurant chains loudly advertise their seafood dishes.Scissors-32x32.png

While I was in Florida, I looked at the calendar that is displayed on AOL to see when Easter was. Earth Day, St Patrick's Day etc. etc.- NO Easter. Then I went to the RR calendar. Not their either.

While I was in Florida, I looked at the calendar that is displayed on AOL to see when Easter was. Earth Day, St Patrick's Day etc. etc.- NO Easter. Then I went to the RR calendar. Not their either.

Thanks ok.

Remember we are after all living behind enemy lines, so this is to be expected. The real question is...what are you going to do about it? Maybe something crazy like tell someone the secret and invite them to join the underground.

• Like 1