When is the President the Commander in Chief?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

53928\Canada Free Press:

President is not the Commander in Chief unless war is properly declared

When is the President the Commander in Chief?

Matt Shipley (Bio and Archives) Thursday, March 21, 2013

In the 20th century, America has been involved in 19 conflicts in which Congress has not declared war as the Constitution requires and service members have lost their lives in each of these 19 conflicts. The total number of service members who died as a result of these unconstitutional wars, which are conflicts not declared by the constitutionally predetermined authority, is just less than 100,000. But even the loss of one life is a tragedy to the family of the killed service member and is completely illegal when the conflict was not approved by representatives of the people and the States.

Conflicts that are not declared by Congress are unwarranted and most of this unwarranted militarism is the result of the American public’s apathetic understanding of and desire for accountability to constitutional war powers, the Law of Nations, the Just War Doctrine,[1] and the role of the President as Commander in Chief. If the President is always the Commander in Chief, then one Scissors-32x32.png

Meanwhile back in the Real World.....

If you are sick to your stomach when hearing about American service members killed in undeclared wars around the world, then demand your US Representative and Senators limit the use of the military to only when Congress constitutionally declares war; ensure they uphold the Law of Nations and the Just War Doctrine when voting to declare war; and help others understand, especially politicians and news anchors, the President is not the Commander in Chief unless war is properly declared.

Actually people like Matt make me sick and get an almost uncontrollable desire to beat my head against the wall to make the pain go away.

This kind of of...crap is why I have very little use for Paulbots, and people who think (and I use the word in its loosest sense) they are on to something. What I see with this kind of article is what I call political/ideological masturbation....it makes you feel good, but accomplishes nothing.

Draggingtree

If you are sick to your stomach when hearing about American service members killed in undeclared wars around the world, then demand your US Representative and Senators limit the use of the military to only when Congress constitutionally declares war; ensure they uphold the Law of Nations and the Just War Doctrine when voting to declare war; and help others understand, especially politicians and news anchors, the President is not the Commander in Chief unless war is properly declared.

Actually people like Matt make me sick and get an almost uncontrollable desire to beat my head against the wall to make the pain go away.

This kind of of...crap is why I have very little use for Paulbots, and people who think (and I use the word in its loosest sense) they are on to something. What I see with this kind of article is what I call political/ideological masturbation....it makes you feel good, but accomplishes nothing.

Well the article brings to light the Constitution

which is not being followed by the elected leaders, and I am just guessing most readers may not have realized whether Bush, Clinton now Obama don't get Congress approved needed as written in the Constitution then why even complain when other rules are not follow, just can’t pick and choose, it’s their for a reason.

which is not being followed by the elected leaders, and I am just guessing most readers may not have realized whether Bush, Clinton now Obama don't get Congress approved needed as written in the Constitution then why even complain when other rules are not follow, just can’t pick and choose, it’s their for a reason.

No it doesn't! It brings out the Paulbot vision of The Constitution...which at best has a nodding acquaintance with what I like to call Reality (historical & political). We pick and choose (politically) what parts of the Constitution we follow, and have done so from day 1. (Examples provided on request)

Like living in Texas? Would not exist if the Federal Government had not gone to war (without a congressional declaration) against the Comanche's, Apache's, Kiowa.....etc.

Draggingtree

Friday, Mar. 22, 2013

Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 8:11 pm, Thu Mar 21, 2013.

Today’s top opinion: Still here

Jim Webb no longer represents Virginia in the United States Senate. He has not disappeared. He has written the lead article for the March/April issue of The National Interest.

In “Legislative Irrelevance,” Webb laments the “fading role of Congress in foreign-policy decision-making.” Scissors-32x32.png

Webb opens by citing the Constitution. The Founders invested Congress with considerable powers regarding the defense of the realm. They limited presidential authority, in part because they objected to Old World prerogatives that allowed monarchs and tyrants to plunge their nations into war. Only Congress, the Constitution asserts, can declare war; Congress has Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/our-opinion/today-s-top-opinion-still-here/article_32059418-e7dc-5694-849e-372f94fbcbfc.html