Vlad Is Not Glad About Cyprus

Valin

vlad-is-not-glad-about-cyprus Via Meadia:

3/18/13

Guess who’s not happy with the fact that the EU has imposed a hefty tax on wealthy depositors in Cyprus?

putin-frown.jpg

The FT is on it:

Mr Putin, at a meeting with economic advisers on Monday, was among several Russian leaders to criticise the bailout, which came without consultation with Moscow and could cost Russian depositors up to €2bn, according to Nicosia bankers.

“While assessing the proposed additional levy on bank accounts in Cyprus, Mr Putin said that such a decision, should it be made, would be unfair, unprofessional and dangerous,” the president’s spokesman said following the meeting.

Russia’s well-connected kleptocrats have the most to lose here, and it’s not surprising that they called their friends in the Kremlin at the first sound of this story breaking. It’s just not going to help them much in this case: Putin and his cohorts can wail and gnash their teeth all day long, but unless the Russian government is willing to pony up and pay to bail the depositors, the Kremlin has precious little leverage over this decision.

(Snip)

Glenn Reynolds Says

"If I were a Republican in Congress, I’d introduce a bill — tomorrow! — banning, and, in fact, criminalizing, such seizures in the United States. That would be popular, and if the Democrats were dumb enough to oppose it, it would make people wonder what they were up to."

Draggingtree

Glenn Reynolds Says

"If I were a Republican in Congress, I’d introduce a bill — tomorrow! — banning, and, in fact, criminalizing, such seizures in the United States. That would be popular, and if the Democrats were dumb enough to oppose it, it would make people wonder what they were up to."

Congress better hurry up they are "fixing" to be out for Easter break of 2 wks. -- which is a good thing LMFAO.gif I know you understand why.

Glenn Reynolds Says

Congress better hurry up they are "fixing" to be out for Easter break of 2 wks. -- which is a good thing LMFAO.gif I know you understand why.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Gideon J. Tucker (1866).